Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went ahead and bought a set of winter wheels and tires. The amount of salt they use here is ridiculous. I mainly and doing this for the jump in MPGs it will have due to the aerodynamics of the wheels. The 19s of the Touring hybrid are simply for looks, not efficiency. These will match the car color pretty well. Anyone have these installed?

Bought Kuhmo low-resistance tires as well which should help in addition to the 17 inch wheels.

Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Font

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Went ahead and bought a set of winter wheels and tires. The amount of salt they use here is ridiculous. I mainly and doing this for the jump in MPGs it will have due to the aerodynamics of the wheels. The 19s of the Touring hybrid are simply for looks, not efficiency. These will match the car color pretty well. Anyone have these installed?

Bought Kuhmo low-resistance tires as well which should help in addition to the 17 inch wheels.

View attachment 537205
I'm sure it will look just fine- the preview feature at TireRack that lets you see the actual wheels on your car (and color) is a really nice feature... but I have a question for you- if you get enough snow and ice in winter where you live to require as much salt you say that they use... shouldn't getting tires that provide decent traction in snow and ice be a slightly higher priority than being low-rolling resistance?

Maybe you also took that into consideration... so if you did- I apologize for assuming.

As someone who also lives in the magical land of ice and snow (and salt)... I also purchased a set of smaller wheels and more snow-friendly tires for my 2021 Touring. The factory 19" wheels and Michelins are downright scary in the snow. I got a set of CrossClimate2 tires, which are about as snow-friendly as you can get without getting a winter-only tire. Great traction in snow... similar mileage to the factory tires... maybe slightly less- but that may have more to do with the outside temperature and how it makes the HVAC system work harder. I have the 2.0t engine, which gets pretty lousy MPG anyway- I'm sure that you'd notice more of a MPG difference on your hybrid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it will look just fine- the preview feature at TireRack that lets you see the actual wheels on your car (and color) is a really nice feature... but I have a question for you- if you get enough snow and ice in winter where you live to require as much salt you say that they use... shouldn't getting tires that provide decent traction in snow and ice be a slightly higher priority than being low-rolling resistance?

Maybe you also took that into consideration... so if you did- I apologize for assuming.

As someone who also lives in the magical land of ice and snow (and salt)... I also purchased a set of smaller wheels and more snow-friendly tires for my 2021 Touring. The factory 19" wheels and Michelins are downright scary in the snow. I got a set of CrossClimate2 tires, which are about as snow-friendly as you can get without getting a winter-only tire. Great traction in snow... similar mileage to the factory tires... maybe slightly less- but that may have more to do with the outside temperature and how it makes the HVAC system work harder. I have the 2.0t engine, which gets pretty lousy MPG anyway- I'm sure that you'd notice more of a MPG difference on your hybrid.
I did. A good all-season tire, even with low-resistance rolling will provide the traction I need. We don't receive Canadian winters but there's a couple 5 or 6 inch snowfalls every year. The main reason I went for them was the aerodynamics to increase mpgs and making the ride more comfortable. You seem like you do some homework so I'm sure you know the non-Touring hybrid models get 48 mpg combined and the Touring is 43 combined. This is ALL because of the larger wheels and low-pros. The set actually looks a bit like the base model accords but these were cheaper still and they match a bit. To add to it, the 17s set are about 5 lbs lighter at each corner. I didn't notice any difference in coasting ability on the 20 mile trip I took after installing them.

I'm back in office this coming week so I'll be able to judge how much better they are than the 19s. Taking the 19s off saving them from getting ate up from the salt and brine they lay down here. I haven't calculated how soon/long it'll take me to recoup my money for buying the set but it's a win-win at this point.

The 2.0T is nice and quick for what it is. If you are getting above 30 mpg combined, you're doing pretty well.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

(Definitely changes the look but it isn't forever)

This is the wheel and tire combined for both sets.

Stock 19 inch wheel: 57.6 lbs

17 inch: 52.6 lbs

Not a big difference but will help MPGs.

Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Tints and shades Auto part
Window Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better photo outside. A bit more wheel gap, which I'm not a fan of but, overall, sits pretty well. Pleased with the outcome.

Wheel Sky Car Tire Vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts