Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for winters for my Coupe. I drive to ski county almost every weekend and need the traction. I am going to mount them on their own rims. My current thinking is I will downsize the winter rims to 17 X 7. Do I need to worry about offsets and stuff like that for the wheels? Have not decided if I am going with steelies or maybe something prettier. Its only 4 months but I do not want my alloys ruined. Been there, done that. I do intend to keep the car at least 10 years.

For tire size I am thinking 215 45 17. MIchelin Xice seem to be highly recommended. Hancook IPikes also seem to up there.

Comments? I need to stop procrastinating and get this done. Inventory is moving now, prices went up last week and its going to snow here sooner than later.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I bought my winter tires and rims from the tire rack in stock size. They came mounted road force balancd and ready to go, I can not recommend them enough. I even have a post on here to help others as the rims I bought reuse the stock hardware and do not require centering rings like most aftermarket rims do. I went with the GoodYear Ultra Grip Ice WRT. So far they are very quiet and smooth, I think quieter than the stock tires.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148449

Jay

·
Registered
480 Posts
I am shopping for winters for my Coupe. I drive to ski county almost every weekend and need the traction. I am going to mount them on their own rims. My current thinking is I will downsize the winter rims to 17 X 7. Do I need to worry about offsets and stuff like that for the wheels? Have not decided if I am going with steelies or maybe something prettier. Its only 4 months but I do not want my alloys ruined. Been there, done that. I do intend to keep the car at least 10 years.

For tire size I am thinking 215 45 17. MIchelin Xice seem to be highly recommended. Hancook IPikes also seem to up there.

Comments? I need to stop procrastinating and get this done. Inventory is moving now, prices went up last week and its going to snow here sooner than later.
215/45/17 tires would be way too short for your coupe. Do yourself a favor and look up your car on tire rack or bring it to a tire shop so they can show you the proper options for your car.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
16's will work too and cheaper with a wider variety of tires.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I also just threw on a set of the Goodyear ultragrip ice wrt. These tires had excellent reviews (4.9/5) and were recommended to me by a friend that owns a tire shop. I was going to buy a set of 17" steelies and tires but decided to just throw some on the stock rims since I plan on buying a set of 19's next summer. I didn't want the stocks to get ruined either so I plastidip'd and will now be using them as my winter set. Michelin X-ices are a bit overrated. They're made for commuters because they have a not so soft rubber compound so unless you're doing a lot of highway driving then I wouldn't recommend the x-ices. Blizzaks are good tires too but too expensive and apparently the traction on them sucks after a couple of seasons when the tread has worn down to about 50%. The Goodyears were recommended to me over the x-ices and blizzaks.
Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Nokian 7 or R2, you roll on that and will never go back... they were out of stock for the size of my wheel, had to go with X-Ice XI3. But my old mazda was rolling on Nokians.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Comments? I need to stop procrastinating and get this done. Inventory is moving now, prices went up last week and its going to snow here sooner than later.[/QUOTE]

For winter tires its much better to go to a narrower tire with higher profile. Many recommend 16" wheels like 205/65 or 215/60. Good luck

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
I am about to run stock Si wheels with 215/55/17 snow tires. That's the excat size tirerack recommended for Sport Models. Probably the size you should run with too for your 17x7 wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts