Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2004 I4 EX-L and recently both my wipers and washer have stopped working, they both failed at the same time. This happened late last summer, no abuse from snow or ice.

Under dash, I checked the 30amp, the two 7.5amp on row 2, and the second 10 amp "backup" fuse on row 3. Actually I just pulled every fuse and they all look fine.

Under the hood, when switching on wipers or attempting to spray washer fluid, I can hear the switches clicking within the relay control unit (under the fuses and other removable relays), they click as expected at all positions on the wiper/washer control lever, but I don't hear anything coming from the washer pump or the wiper motors. I've been told that RCU is an expensive replacement so hoping that isn't the issue.

Any ideas on where to go from here? I'm actually selling the car and I doubt most buyers would even check the wipers but I don't want to be that guy, that wouldn't be cool at all.

I have a multi-meter, not really sure where to check next, can anyone guide me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
04 coupe w/06-07 rear end conversion-19” TSW Sochi- Nighthawk Black,2008 Equinox LS AWD Summit White
38 Posts
Even if the relay clicks, it may be shot. Try replacing it, I cant imagine it being too pricy. I know on my 04 I had issues with the washer fluid not squirting out the drivers side, disconnected the hose from the fluid reservoir and shot some compressed air through it and a whole bunch of dirt came through, but it doesnt sound like you have that issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do I go about replacing this? It's not a pluggable relay like all of the others in the fuse box, the clicking is coming from within the relay control unit that the fuse box sits on top of, I think I read somewhere that the whole RCU needs to be replaced if it has issues.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
The wiper and washer are controlled by MICU, the MICU is part of the driver's side fuse panel.

What you need to check is power is getting to the washer pump, or you can test the pump by connecting the pump directly to the battery.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rbross3030

·
Registered
04 coupe w/06-07 rear end conversion-19” TSW Sochi- Nighthawk Black,2008 Equinox LS AWD Summit White
38 Posts
Maybe this can be some help? Fuses 7, 11, 21 and 20 seem to be the ones to check, though you said you already did. looks like there's only the washer motor, steering wheel switch, and the relay control module. Not too sure where thats located, but hope this helps, straight from the haynes manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Greg & Nick. I just pulled a relay control module from an accord at my local boneyard for about 20 bucks. I didn't have the time or patience to pull wire harnesses. If it's not the module itself that is the issue hopefully it's just a loose connector underneath. I'll check power straight from battery as you suggested Greg, if all is good there I'll have the schematic to troubleshoot the rest. Thanks again guys, I'll keep this thread updated with results for posterity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts