Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2008 EX-L Nav last year and love it, but it came time to replace the winshield wipers. The local dealership (Huggins Honda) replaces inserts for free with a service, so I decided to have them do that. However, when I got my car serviced, they said I didn't have the original wiper blades.

I then went to Autozone to get the GIANT 26" driver's side and the 19" passengers side. I opted for the Duralast, since that is the only brand that they had in 26" (really, 26 freakin' inches!).

There were two immediate problems I encountered. First, the passenger's side wiper wouldn't go on. The hook on the arm was too long (with one installation method, typical hook) and too wide (trying a different way, putting the "hook" in first, and hooking around the "spindle"). I finally removed the plastic piece that goes around the hook, installed the 19" one, then replaced the plastic piece. It took 25 minutes in 100 degree heat to figure this out, but it was finally done.

After they were installed, I tested them out and the passengers wiper worked flawlessly. The driver's, however was horrible. The last 4" or so of the wiper barely even touches the windshield. I have a nice blind spot right in front of me where the wiper doesn't remove water.

I have searched throughout these forums to see if anyone has any advice on what to do. Most answers are "buy the OEM wipers again". Is that really the only option? What is causing this? Why is the curvature of the '08+ accord windshield so different than any other car out there that the wipers won't conform to it?

I was just wondering if there was a brand (Michelin radius, Rain X)? That was affordable which works well. I live in Texas, so we don't get rain that often, but when we do, it pours like a waterfall.

Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Does the wiper look like a factory wiper? IE They're one flat slim piece that has pressure points evenly distributed across the wiper? If not... get those. :thmsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ones I took off did look like that. They were some Japanese sounding name starting with an "M"...but the dealership said they weren't "factory".

Hmmm...

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you can swing it, I am a staunch member of the "OEM is best" school. I've had multiple Honda's, and it always seems to me once you stop using OEM you get those bad spots no matter what brand you run with. (At least in my experience). My dealership also does the free installation of the inserts, they run me about $12 every 6 months. Depending on where you live, you may even be able to space that time out longer, the snow and ice up here destroys the rubber pretty quick from being frozen to the windshield multiple times, let alone all the salt that gets on your car.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had tried an aftermarket blade (forget the brand) but it wasn't even close to fitting properly. I double checked the application and indeed it was for my vehicle. So I went to the dealer, got the OEM inserts, and now I am back in business. Quite honestly the OEM refills actually last a long time and wipe streak free.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you can swing it, I am a staunch member of the "OEM is best" school. I've had multiple Honda's, and it always seems to me once you stop using OEM you get those bad spots no matter what brand you run with. (At least in my experience). My dealership also does the free installation of the inserts, they run me about $12 every 6 months. Depending on where you live, you may even be able to space that time out longer, the snow and ice up here destroys the rubber pretty quick from being frozen to the windshield multiple times, let alone all the salt that gets on your car.
I agree with this sentiment. :) It's easiest to just get the OEM wipes and swap out the inserts every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
^+1
i just switched out my old inserts for some new ones. Works like a charm and its cheap too

·
Registered
188 Posts
rain x latitudes. won;t ever use anther wiper blade. they are bent, creating constant pressure & contact, even at the outer last inch of each blade. they outperfrom the stock blades by far. combined with rain x washer fluid, i barely use the wipers. but, when i have to, they work amazing. instead of spending 10 bux on inserts, spend 30 & get the top of the line blades. I had the Bosch top of the line prior, the rain-x spank them too. it is all b/c of the bent nature & physics of the blade that make it work so incredibly. also, i clean my blades with rain-x upon every car wash. in the hot sun, w/ prolonged periods of no rain, it is horrible for the blades to get so dry & brittle. this sometimes causes it to stick to the windshield & when you need the wipers, the blade motors can rip off the inserts at certain points & effectively ruin the blade for life. i found lubing them up every few weeks has prevented this issue for over 4 years now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw the latitudes, but I couldn't find the darn 26" driver's side one at either Wal-Mart or Autozone.

Thanks for all the info, everyone! I checked handa and college hills and neither of them have the OEM wiper blades, just the inserts. How much are they retail at the dealership for the pair?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I saw the latitudes, but I couldn't find the darn 26" driver's side one at either Wal-Mart or Autozone.

Thanks for all the info, everyone! I checked handa and college hills and neither of them have the OEM wiper blades, just the inserts. How much are they retail at the dealership for the pair?
You need to look up parts, not accessories for the wiper blades. The part #s are: 76600-TA0-A01 for driver side and 76610-TA0-A01 for passenger side. Compare the price + shipping with some honda parts websites and see if it'll cost you more than to buy at retail at the dealer since you pay tax at the dealer. The dealer may also be willing to price match.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to look up parts, not accessories for the wiper blades. The part #s are: 76600-TA0-A01 for driver side and 76610-TA0-A01 for passenger side. Compare the price + shipping with some honda parts websites and see if it'll cost you more than to buy at retail at the dealer since you pay tax at the dealer. The dealer may also be willing to price match.
Thanks!

I had seen wiper blades on college hills, but the description didn't leave with a warm fuzzy that they were for my car. Now I know what part numbers to look for.

Thanks to everyone, you have been very helpful! :thmsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
theres a little clip, its simple as pie. lift the clip & remove the wiper. go for the new rain x w/ the rain-x application applied to the blade. i have the rain x latitudes & have already said, they are by far the best blades i have ever used. some said the oem are best, i found them to split apart after a few months & sounded much louder than the latitudes. the latitudes have a constant arc to the blade, which ensures contact from end to end. w/ rain x washer fluid, i only use them at speeds under 40mph or when behind a truck or even a car microsplashing my windshield w/ back spray. $3 rain x washer fluid is the best thing u can do for your car in rainy conditions. it should be standard imo, simply for sfety issues alone. sorry for ur bad experience. id return the duralasts for suuuure & call around to find which store carries the rain-x blades, esp in the odd size we need.

switchin oem blades every 6 months is ridiculous. spend the 25-30 bux & have blades for a few years, minimum. i am a clean windshield freak. i was the windshields prob 6/7 days of the week. they get used a lot, regardless of rain. the latitudes are going on 2 yrs & still are perfect as the day i bought them. i mentioned in another thread, the tech & research put into the latitudes, bosch or new michelin 6 point contact blades are exponentially greater than the research & money spent by honda to put blades on our cars. its worth the extra 20 bucks man. screw replacing blades 2x a yr.

·
Doc Mojo
1,499 Posts
theres a little clip, its simple as pie. lift the clip & remove the wiper. go for the new rain x w/ the rain-x application applied to the blade. i have the rain x latitudes & have already said, they are by far the best blades i have ever used. some said the oem are best, i found them to split apart after a few months & sounded much louder than the latitudes. the latitudes have a constant arc to the blade, which ensures contact from end to end. w/ rain x washer fluid, i only use them at speeds under 40mph or when behind a truck or even a car microsplashing my windshield w/ back spray. $3 rain x washer fluid is the best thing u can do for your car in rainy conditions. it should be standard imo, simply for sfety issues alone. sorry for ur bad experience. id return the duralasts for suuuure & call around to find which store carries the rain-x blades, esp in the odd size we need.

switchin oem blades every 6 months is ridiculous. spend the 25-30 bux & have blades for a few years, minimum. i am a clean windshield freak. i was the windshields prob 6/7 days of the week. they get used a lot, regardless of rain. the latitudes are going on 2 yrs & still are perfect as the day i bought them. i mentioned in another thread, the tech & research put into the latitudes, bosch or new michelin 6 point contact blades are exponentially greater than the research & money spent by honda to put blades on our cars. its worth the extra 20 bucks man. screw replacing blades 2x a yr.
link to blades and previous thread?

·
Management
651 Posts
I would stay away from the latitudes. I thought they were terrible. Maybe it's just the climate here, but I got a year out of them which is no better than stock. And I've never seen them for $30. I think I spent $40+ when I got them. Way too much money for no improvement over stock. The "no pressure points" thing is a joke. They were always missing spots on the windshield (usually blocking my view). I'll never buy them again. I recently bought stock inserts for $8 and I'm sure they'll last me a year like my original ones.

Also, not that it is real important to everyone, but stock looks much better too. They look more integrated, like they are meant for the car. Unlike the latitudes or any other non-OEM blade that just has a cheap universal look.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would stay away from the latitudes. I thought they were terrible. Maybe it's just the climate here, but I got a year out of them which is no better than stock. And I've never seen them for $30. I think I spent $40+ when I got them. Way too much money for no improvement over stock. The "no pressure points" thing is a joke. They were always missing spots on the windshield (usually blocking my view). I'll never buy them again. I recently bought stock inserts for $8 and I'm sure they'll last me a year like my original ones.

Also, not that it is real important to everyone, but stock looks much better too. They look more integrated, like they are meant for the car. Unlike the latitudes or any other non-OEM blade that just has a cheap universal look.
having jkept my stock blades, i dont understand how u can say the oem look better??? they look like the same wipers on a car from 1990. all cheap & just not attractive. we both have the same windshield, i assume. so, i wonder why your latitudes leave areas untouched. mine work so well, its like day & nite compared to oem. they have no pressure points b/c the whole blade is permanently arced, making every inch a pressure point, per say. i really do stand behind the rain-x latitudes allll the way. i feel bad u didnt have the same experience i have had. after almost 2 yrs, they still look & work perfectly. i really like the streamlined fin or whatever you wanna call it on the top of the wiper, above the blade. it looks better than the metal & openings u can see on the oem wiper. also, they are much lighter & quieter than oems. i weighed both, the latitudes was .76 lbs. for 26", the oem was 1.2 lbs. again, i also hear michelin has a new set of 6 pt contact blades my bro has on his s4 which i reeeeally like, as well. they are very well deisgned & again, much better engineering, tech & $$ were put into the michelin & rain-x blades as opposed to the wipers honda uses for its fleet, forget the actual rubber blade. i wonder who won that contract to supply honda, i bet it wasnt the most expensive supplier though.....8th gen did start in 2008, when times were not so good.....cost cutting was at its highest im sure.

i paid 32 bux for both latitudes at autozone or advanced auto, cant recall. but, i remember it was 32, w/ tax.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does the wiper look like a factory wiper? IE They're one flat slim piece that has pressure points evenly distributed across the wiper? If not... get those. you can always bring it to ur dealer and ask them if they are factory ones

1 - 19 of 19 Posts