Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
I noticed it at times back when I first got my coupe, but didn't really bother me. Apply Rain-x or a similar product to the windshield, then no need to use wipers.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That's normal. Just keep your windshield clean and waxed. A good wax will last you a month or two with the wipers going. I live in Washington and don't have any issues and it's always raining here. The water just beads and flies off before it has a chance to distort my vision. :thmsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
the oem wipers are the worst wipers ever conceived. its worth 30 bux to get the new rain x wipers with built in rain x stuff or the plain old rain x latitudes which i have now. there is no comparison betw the oem's & rain-x latitudes. its like yugo & rolls royce. also, michelin has a new set out with 6 points of contact/pressure points spread across the wiper, i hear they work great as well. they are 40 bux tho. for 20-30bux, id go w/ the latitutudes. they have a permanently & highly contoured wiper that creates exxcellent blade contact from end to end. also, like every1 says, just 1 application of rain x a month & u dont need wipers at all if ur travelling beyond 40mph.

fyi, my oem wipers literally split apart on both side after 6 months of owning the car. also, i suggest using rain-x wiper fluid too. then, u dont even need to apply the rain-x solution. the wiper fluid is like 2 gallons & $3, the rain-x tiny bottle is $5. no brainer there.

·
Registered
399 Posts
the oem wipers are the worst wipers ever conceived. its worth 30 bux to get the new rain x wipers with built in rain x stuff or the plain old rain x latitudes which i have now. there is no comparison betw the oem's & rain-x latitudes. its like yugo & rolls royce. also, michelin has a new set out with 6 points of contact/pressure points spread across the wiper, i hear they work great as well. they are 40 bux tho. for 20-30bux, id go w/ the latitutudes. they have a permanently & highly contoured wiper that creates exxcellent blade contact from end to end. also, like every1 says, just 1 application of rain x a month & u dont need wipers at all if ur travelling beyond 40mph.

fyi, my oem wipers literally split apart on both side after 6 months of owning the car. also, i suggest using rain-x wiper fluid too. then, u dont even need to apply the rain-x solution. the wiper fluid is like 2 gallons & $3, the rain-x tiny bottle is $5. no brainer there.
You're like the only person i know think the OEM wiper ****s. I think honda accord's oem wiper system is one of the best in the industry. The streaks the OP shows on the video looks more like freezing rain.

·
Cell Phone Doc
963 Posts
I have a 2008 sedan and have had this problem since I've had the vehicle. The wiper drags water across the driver's side windshield, which gets worse at higher speeds. Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea of a potential fix?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqXXl9D5afE
That's the aerodynamics of the wiper interacting with that large ridge on the left side of the windshield. Because of how the windshield sets down below the A pillar the water can't spill over the A pillar, and just collects there. As the wiper moves away it's wing shape pulls the water back away from the A pillar. It's just a combination of ill conceived design segments.

I haven't bothered to try a different wiper design without the "wing" design element. Maybe that would help.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
You're like the only person i know think the OEM wiper ****s. I think honda accord's oem wiper system is one of the best in the industry. The streaks the OP shows on the video looks more like freezing rain.
Agreed. The OEM Honda wipers are the best I've come across in 30+ years of driving.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Agreed. The OEM Honda wipers are the best I've come across in 30+ years of driving.

wow, very surprised you all think they are great. maybe i just had a bad set. they worked fine initially, as in the first 4 months. but, then slowly, each blade started to split apart where the rubber edge is that wipes away the water. finally, at month 6 or so, both wipers were entirely split & where they were split apart, there was no wiping, just the normal streaks u find when a wiper is done for. if it were me & i had to replace worn wipers, i would go with a non oem simply b.c i kno rain-x or michelin put more research & money into the blades efficacy & technology than Honda would for mere wiper inserts. the latitudes were also more aerodynamic & solid looking than the oem's. they make less noise when used & def worked better than the oem's did the 1st months they were in working order. i prob just had a bad set of blades to begin with if u all still have ur blades after x amt of time. i thought breaking apart in 4-6months was absurd tho, as anybody would.

·
Registered
399 Posts
wow, very surprised you all think they are great. maybe i just had a bad set. they worked fine initially, as in the first 4 months. but, then slowly, each blade started to split apart where the rubber edge is that wipes away the water. finally, at month 6 or so, both wipers were entirely split & where they were split apart, there was no wiping, just the normal streaks u find when a wiper is done for. if it were me & i had to replace worn wipers, i would go with a non oem simply b.c i kno rain-x or michelin put more research & money into the blades efficacy & technology than Honda would for mere wiper inserts. the latitudes were also more aerodynamic & solid looking than the oem's. they make less noise when used & def worked better than the oem's did the 1st months they were in working order. i prob just had a bad set of blades to begin with if u all still have ur blades after x amt of time. i thought breaking apart in 4-6months was absurd tho, as anybody would.
You do know michelin does not make their own wiper blade right? Pylon makes wiper blade for michelin and michelin simply put their name on it. I'm not too sure about the rain-x blade, i'm pretty sure it's done in the simpler fashion. Many wiper system in today's vehicle are not engineered by the vehicle manufacture themselves. It's not cost effective for them to spend R&D time and money on wiper system. They put out bid to different wiper system companies and select whoever gives them the lowest bid.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try the windshield washer fluid with Rain-X in it. Works great, and you don't have to deal with the hassle of applying Rain-X by hand.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
I had a problem recently with a defective wiper arm. There is a small spring loaded cover on the arm that came apart in the high-speed drier of a car wash. The dealer replaced the wiper arm under warranty. The blades themselves, though, I truly find great.

·
6,322 Posts
After 9.5 yrs and 166k on the 99 Accord I only changed the inserts ONCE. The passenger side started to come apart which is when I replaced them with oem inserts. When the car was sold the wipers were fine. I forgot how long the first set lasted....prob around 4-5yrs.

Regularly cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, garage kept, never turned wipers once when windshield was frozen over. Always scraped the ice off first really well. Prob around half that time car was also in a garage during the day at work. Also used Rain X fairly often.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts