Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Accord V6 Sedan. I have been having problems with the wipers for a while. It seems that the wipers return to the position where they would normally be at rest on every cycle. With the wipers on, they go all the way down and strike the trim at the bottom of the windshield on every cycle. I notice it most when it is raining of course, but I have tested them when dry and it doesn't do it at all.

Nothing appears to be damaged, except I can rotate the wipers freely from the rest position up the windshield about 3 inches. Also this problem seemed to start after a snow/ice storm and having to dig the wipers out of ice.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

· Registered
99 Posts
Funny that you mention this. I to have the same problem. Just yesterday it was pouring hard and wipers were hitting the lower trim very excessively. When it was doing that, I could feel it on my brake pedal when I had my foot on the brake.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well after some more searching on other forums it seems like there are some bushings that are most likely damaged. I bet I cracked them trying to use the wipers when they were frozen over. Gonna try and replace them.

· Registered
2 Posts
Wipers striking rim

I have the same exact problem with the wipers. When the windshield is dry they operate normally. When wet they slap the rims of the windshield. I checked the tightness of the nuts where they attach to the motors. Not the problem. If anyone finds the cause and solution i would like to hear from you.

thanks

· Sosi baklazhani bydlo
588 Posts
Had it on my old nissan. Theres a bushing thats damaged. You will have to remove the arm and the lower molding of the windshield and replace. about 30 min of work. Ill get a diagram of what im talking about later.

· Registered
2 Posts
Wiper Travel Adjustment

Thanks for the info. I found the problem and corrected it. It was the bushings on the wiper arm assembly that attaches to the motor. You have to remove the the entire wiper motor and assembly (4 - 10mm bolts), unplug the elect. cable. On the back side are the 2 arms that snap into ball joints. One is for the drivers side and the other the passenger side. One of the plastic bushings was cracked and allowing the slack. The Honda dealer had them in stock. I replaced both of them at a cost of $ 24.58 including tax. Didn't want to have to go back in later to replace the others.

Also, you will need a wiper arm removal tool (puller) for the arm on top where the wiper blades are. They have them at the auto parts store but the one i found didn't have enough space to fit under the arm. I used a universal puller i had.

'06 Honda Accord

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.