Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if anyone knows how to wire alternative lights to work as DRL?

I wanted to hook up LED stips to run as DRLs and function the same (cut off when parking/headlights are turned on) I have searched on here and on google but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, only about disconnected DRL's by pulling the fuse.

If there's a post about this already please post a link or if you've done it please let me know how. Thanks :thumbsup:

2011 Accord 4dr i4

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
So I was wondering if anyone knows how to wire alternative lights to work as DRL?

I wanted to hook up LED stips to run as DRLs and function the same (cut off when parking/headlights are turned on) I have searched on here and on google but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, only about disconnected DRL's by pulling the fuse.

If there's a post about this already please post a link or if you've done it please let me know how. Thanks :thumbsup:

2011 Accord 4dr i4
This should help http://www.ebay.com/itm/280739591382?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Close but I actually already have them wired in through the DRL fuse using an add-a-fuse. I only inserted one fuse to the top slot of the add-a-fuse so that the LEDs come on but not the DRL high beams. The problem I'm having is I'd like the LED's to shut off like the high beams used to when I would turn the parking lights or low beams on. Right now they just stay on while the car is on. Love the car btw ksills, you've done a lot of what I'm planning on.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
that fuse stays hot whenever the car is on - it's not regulated by the status of your lights... same reason the DRL warning light will stay on regardless of lights/brights on or off.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
So here's your issues...

1. If I am correct, your DRL's are simply your high beams that take lower voltage. Once you flip your head lights on, your DRL's turn off and then when you flip your high beams on they receive the full 12Vdc. Someone correct me if I am wrong here... I don't believe they do this by changing the current.

If I am correct, you have two options...

1. Pull your DRL fuse and setup a stand alone circuit to run your DRL's. That way you can turn them on or off when ever you want.

2. Otherwise you need to loose your high beams. Connect a relay to the end of the high beam harness. When the relay sees the 6Vdc on one side it will trip the other side and allow power to flow through the circuit turning on your custom DRL's. (more complicated than that of course but hopefully you know how to wire relays).
- Then you may want to consider Bi-Zenons projectors so you can get high beams back.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
Can you verify if there are only two wires going to your DRL's/Highbeams now, or are there three?

- If there are only 2 wires, revert to my original post
- If there are 3 wires, you may be able to keep your stock high beams by figuring out which wire gets power when your DRL's are supposed to be on, and which wire receives power when your high beams are supposed to be on. Use the DRL power wire to switch your relay and power what ever you want. Then keep the highbeam wire attached to the bulb so you can still flip your high beams on as well.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Bahaha, That guy is simple selling a relay and some wires. You can get relays for like 5 bucks at Radio shack. He just put it in a nice pretty box so you dont know what it really is.
they get pretty hot - very hot actually... so much so that i thought it was potentially dangerous and removed the led drls in an old setup of mine. anything plastic or rubber that comes in contact with the resistor boxes may melt on you and that would be an expensive price for led drls.

as you mentioned the best way to go about this mod is to determine which wire is the positive drl lead, cut it, and redirect it to your led array. highs should in turn not be impacted. i'm positive i have seen posts about this mod here so do some digging to find which wire to cut.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
they get pretty hot - very hot actually... so much so that i thought it was potentially dangerous and removed the led drls in an old setup of mine. anything plastic or rubber that comes in contact with the resistor boxes may melt on you and that would be an expensive price for led drls.

as you mentioned the best way to go about this mod is to determine which wire is the positive drl lead, cut it, and redirect it to your led array. highs should in turn not be impacted. i'm positive i have seen posts about this mod here so do some digging to find which wire to cut.
That probably because the relays were being sent straight to ground. The current being dumped to ground was so high that it was creating high heat dissipation. ^Current on small wires = ^heat. You would either need to find different relays that fit the specs you need so that they didnt dump so much current/ heat away, or try adding a resistor to the ground connection coming off the relay.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wired LEDS to stay on whenever the car is on. So they function as my DRLs during the day and stay on as accent lighting at night. I wired into the power socket in the center console (which is hot whenever the car is on) and grounded directly to the battery.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
I wired LEDS to stay on whenever the car is on. So they function as my DRLs during the day and stay on as accent lighting at night. I wired into the power socket in the center console (which is hot whenever the car is on) and grounded directly to the battery.
What happens if its winter, and your sitting in a dirt parking lot, looking over the air port, trying to get a few "kisses" in with the girl. You need to have the car running to keep her warm, but you dont want to attract any attention with lights?

Now what big guy.... now what????

·
Ballin' on a budget
424 Posts
What happens if its winter, and your sitting in a dirt parking lot, looking over the air port, trying to get a few "kisses" in with the girl. You need to have the car running to keep her warm, but you dont want to attract any attention with lights?

Park with the lights facing away from security building...

·
Registered
147 Posts

hahaha I know how to keep him warm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts