Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a general question about wiring. Let's say that I want to power my reverse camera when the reverse light is on and also when another power source is on like a switch. How would I go about doing this?

Would I just connect the reverse light to the reverse camera and the other source to the same wire going to the reverse camera? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks in advance!

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
Different cameras may function differently or provide different options. Please provide more details, including usage, monitor type (part of a navi), etc. On the Myron & Davis unit power is supplied to the navi headunit when the backup lights are on, then the navi activates and switches to the camera view. Many standalone cameras only need power, ground, and video out to a monitor to function correctly.

Scott C.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
So what you are asking for is 2 different sources to turn on something, in this case a camera. If I was doing this I would do it with a standard SPST (single pole single throw) 20 amp Relay and a couple of 1N4004 diodes. You would wire this up like this picture. This would not be too hard. These parts should be under $10 and I left out a fuse for the 12 volt power source and to be safe a fuse appropriately sized for the camera. The 2 sources are a switch 12volt and the backup lights as the second power source, the diodes prevent backfeeding power and the relay isolates the power source for the camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what you are asking for is 2 different sources to turn on something, in this case a camera. If I was doing this I would do it with a standard SPST (single pole single throw) 20 amp Relay and a couple of 1N4004 diodes. You would wire this up like this picture. This would not be too hard. These parts should be under $10 and I left out a fuse for the 12 volt power source and to be safe a fuse appropriately sized for the camera. The 2 sources are a switch 12volt and the backup lights as the second power source, the diodes prevent backfeeding power and the relay isolates the power source for the camera.
Thank you! That is very helpful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts