Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day some joker was going the wrong way on country road going about 60 MPH and nearly caused a head on collision close to the top of a hill. That event coupled with one of my friends who over the past few years who has constantly squawked about his "vehicle blackbox/camera" setup made me finally decide to purchase one.

I've done some searching already and found a few posts - I'd like to mount my camera on the plastic trim where the FCW camera is located and route the wiring up behind the roof liner near the windshield and down the driver's side "A" pillar - there is where I need advice...getting it the wiring down to the drivers side floor behind the trim is easy just not sure where to go from there.

Seems like the easiest way to do this would be to route it to the glove box and use the cigarette lighter there (vs. using the one under the radio since that is more unsightly) - any guidance on how to route the wiring there?

OR

Splice it into a switched or constant 12V source near the fuse box using some sort of connector to avoid soldering - guidance or advice on which wires?

BTW if it helps, I landed on this device:

LUKAS LK-7900

Thanks! :banana:

· Registered
702 Posts
While you can use the stock cigarette lighter plug, it isn't a real elegant way to do it since it will be unsightly and prevents your ability to use the port. An easy way is just to buy an add a fuse ATO style fuse plug, and an expansion cigarette port kit. The add a fuse allows you to attach power to a switched supply, then hook up expansion cig port; plug the camera's cig power into it, tuck the cables away, and voila, you have a nice install.

One thing - be careful how you route the wires up the a-pillar such that it doesn't interfere with the airbag deployment.

· 13 Bagged Accord EXL V6
244 Posts
I had transferred my dual camera from my Civic right when I got the car. Its nice to have for many reasons as it records video and audio inside and out. As for the wiring I followed this diagram and then took it a step further by plugging it to the lighter in the console. Hope this helps.

Attachments

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While you can use the stock cigarette lighter plug, it isn't a real elegant way to do it since it will be unsightly and prevents your ability to use the port. An easy way is just to buy an add a fuse ATO style fuse plug, and an expansion cigarette port kit. The add a fuse allows you to attach power to a switched supply, then hook up expansion cig port; plug the camera's cig power into it, tuck the cables away, and voila, you have a nice install.

One thing - be careful how you route the wires up the a-pillar such that it doesn't interfere with the airbag deployment.
Hmm never thought of that...though I thought the fuse block used the smaller mini style fuse plugs? Any recommendations on which fuse to tap into that's constant 12V and one that is switched 12V?

· Banned
549 Posts
Hmm never thought of that...though I thought the fuse block used the smaller mini style fuse plugs? Any recommendations on which fuse to tap into that's constant 12V and one that is switched 12V?
I could be wrong but I think all the fuses are constant 12v+...all the relays and switches are post-fuse so they are protected. There are wires in the overhead console that might carry both switched and constant for the map lights/FCW/HomeLink etc and that would only be a few inches of wiring instead of all the way down to the lower console. If there is only 12v constant you could always just install a tiny low profile switch and mount it somewhere innocuous near the map lights if you don't mind turning it on and off when you start/stop driving, might be nice to have the ability to shut it off for a few seconds when that douchebag behind you needs a little brake job you don't want on camera :naughty: kidding of course

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.