Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my check engine light has been on for some time (with no other issues) and I took it to my mechanic to check it out and resolve since my inspection was coming up. He connected his computer to see which codes came up and it was the P0341 code which came up as the CMP sensor. He said he’d get the part from the dealership and replace it for $300. I dropped it off for repair and picked it up the next morning, he said it was fixed and the indicator wasn’t on anymore.

I drove around for about an hour when suddenly the light came back on, and what made it scary was that while I was at a red light, the car seemed to be trembling and lunging slightly.. like the engine wanted to cut off He’s been very efficient with all of the other work he’s done for me in the past. I called him right away to let him know and he said to drop it off so that he can check everything.

I’m at a loss right now because my inspection deadline is coming up soon and the car issue hasn’t been resolved. Any ideas as to what may really be the issue? I’ve had the car since 08 and have never had any engine issues or any major issues at all

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,573 Posts
Probably a stretched timing chain

Attachments

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
^ like he said.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, that slight trembling issue that occurred while at a light hasn’t happened ever since that day, nor have I had any other issues with starting the car or driving it.

I’m going to take it to the shop today since I haven’t had time all week, is there anything else that it could be? Also what would the cost be to replace the timing chain if that is the case?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
It could be a few things.

1. Timing chain tensioner is bad.
2. Worn chain guides
3. Worn oil pump
4. Worn chain "stretched"

The thing to check is if the CAMs are currently lined up correctly, or has the chain slipped due to low tension.

The chain tension needs to be checked as well as the tensioner to see if you are at the limit. I would think an independent mechanic would charge between $500 and $750 labor plus parts.

The chain is about $143 and the tensioner is about $120 and then the guides are another $180. Then the valve cover gasket and the O-ring on the timing chain cover are fairly cheap, as well as Hondabond or similar sealent.

The guides normally are not worn, but they need to be checked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so new update: he checked the codes and now it’s P0443- EVAP incorrect purge flow.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Ok so new update: he checked the codes and now it’s P0443- EVAP incorrect purge flow.
Ok

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,115 Posts
So you're saying the P0341 code is completely gone from the system, and now there's only a P0443 code?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
This code is part of the Evap system. It is telling you there is an issue with the EVAP canister purge valve. Either wiring, corrosion or just a bad valve. This has nothing to do with your previous code.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking for a good mechanic in Northern NJ area that is well versed in all things Honda please.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I never knew of any shop where I lived in the state that specialized in Asian vehicles. Maybe there's not much money in repairing them. The ones I've seen tended to specialize in European ones.

Northern NJ covers quite a large area. It would help if you said where you're located or how far you're willing to drive to get your car serviced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So my 2005 Honda Accord was up for inspection last month, my check engine light was on so I took it to the mechanic and spent $300 to fix the issue only for another code to pop up. I failed the first inspection and now I have until 3/31 to get it inspected again.

The mechanic told me that a friend of his could get me to pass the inspection my clearing out the emission system since that’s all they check for in NJ..is this possible with my check engine light being on?

I do plan on getting the p0443 code issue fixed but I need more time so I’m considering the work around to pass the inspection. Is this workaround legit and effective? What is the process?

can someone recommend other places in NJ that can help with passing the emissions test?
Thanks

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,115 Posts
There should be some kind of waiver if you've spend X amount of money on repairs... Let me look up NJ's laws on it.

PA has a law that if you've spent over $150 on repairs to pass inspection and the car still fails, your inspection is waived for a while and then you can work on getting the issue fixed.

Edit: Looks like there isn't a waiver system, but you do have one month (from the last day of the month on your inspection sticker) to get the repairs made and get the car re-inspected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There should be some kind of waiver if you've spend X amount of money on repairs... Let me look up NJ's laws on it.

PA has a law that if you've spent over $150 on repairs to pass inspection and the car still fails, your inspection is waived for a while and then you can work on getting the issue fixed.
Honestly I’d rather get the inspection pass and work on the issue later if possible, I have too much going on right now.

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
You never closed out or thanked anyone in your "car won't start" thread:

Same with your immobilizer thread. Is the car running?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You never closed out or thanked anyone in your "car won't start" thread:

Same with your immobilizer thread. Is the car running?
oh I’m sorry, I didn’t know that threads had to be closed out over here and with the stress of car issues, I tend to forget to thank you guys or even give updates on the outcomes.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Level of difficulty: Beginner
Approximate time: 1/2 Hour
Tools needed: 10mm socket, ratchet, pliers, phillips screwdriver
Vehicle used: 2010 Honda Accord 3.5 Liter To learn more, visit http://www.StandardBrand.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts