Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mines 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab V6 Supercharged; premium gas required and it get 13 MPG which is awful for a compact pickup truck and prone to mechanical issue.

·
Registered
323 Posts
For me it was an old Jetta that I bought used. I think it was a 1980. I guess I shouldn't blame the car, it looked like somebody had tampered with some of the wiring and no matter what I tried or who I took it to, nothing would fix the electrical issues. Plus the ride was horrible even after I replaced the struts.

·
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4
465 Posts
Honestly, I don't have a "worst car driven" yet. Worst car I've *ridden* in though was a late 90s Saturn Ion. Don't think I need to say more, other than I'm dang glad I wasn't driving it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
1980 Ford Crown Victoria. It was really not a bad car, all things considered, but it was pathetically under powered.

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,370 Posts
Saturn SC2.... it was like an ice skate in the winter. I needed a cheap car at the time. Kept it til it was paid off and traded it in.

·
Registered
547 Posts
For me it was an old Jetta that I bought used. I think it was a 1980. I guess I shouldn't blame the car, it looked like somebody had tampered with some of the wiring and no matter what I tried or who I took it to, nothing would fix the electrical issues. Plus the ride was horrible even after I replaced the struts.
I had to look it up. I didn't realize the Jetta was around in 1980, even the Rabbit was pretty new then.

·
Registered
863 Posts
1990 buick skylark, ugly, broke all the time

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Saturn. By far the worst car I've ever driven that was well maintained.

I've driven some awfully maintained cars through the years as I've bought used cars, even some Accords that just ran like shit and were beat up.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
2001 VW Jetta 1.8T 5MT. Fun little car but never stopped having issues. The drivers window fell into the door and wouldn't roll back up, and tons of other issues. We eventually traded it in for a 2010 Prius.

Although, the car always had a bad smell in the interior and water leaked into the cabin, along with other signs I now suspect it might have been flood damaged. Not sure why my parents didn't bother getting a history report, but we learned our lesson with that car.

·
Reverse Gear
980 Posts
1981 Saab 900 Turbo Automatic, bought used with 87,000 miles on it

Within 2 months of owning it, the automatic transmission failed. I paid $2800 for a factory rebuilt transmission. When they put it all together, they later found the oil seals to be leaking. They got me for another $600 (while we have it apart, we recommend you changing the timing chain, along with the oil seals front and back). After all that, when I got the car back, it wouldn't use gear 1, unless I manually selected it. They gave me another transmission under warranty. After the second transmission was installed, they returned the vehicle with the A/C broken. They found the wiring that they forgot to connect, and A/C was good.

Within a year, the head gasket went, and of course the head also needed to be replaced. Another $2000.

Within another year, the CV Joints went, and the driver's power window would only work intermittently. The A/C broke again, and even the dealer had no clue how to fix it - the issue was electrical and they just gave up.

A true nightmare. All this for a car that did 0-30 slower than any production car of its time. The tranny had a very high first gear (50 mph at redline) and (partially due to the gearing) the worst turbo lag of any car. Bicyclists could beat me to 15 mph with me pressing the accelerator all the way down. Once the turbo was on, from 30 mph on, the car was nice. I was 19 years old at the time and this was a very expensive lesson to not buy or even own any European car out of warranty.

To Top it off, this car took only TRX tires, which were almost double the price of normal tires because only Michelin made them.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
late 80's (?) chevette hatchback. torn vinyl seats that had been repaired with duct tape that would melt in the sun and painfully stick to your skin. going over speed bumps would open the hatch. the only good thing about it was that it cost $500, and it sold for just as much about 4 years later

·
Registered
547 Posts
late 80's (?) chevette hatchback. torn vinyl seats that had been repaired with duct tape that would melt in the sun and painfully stick to your skin. going over speed bumps would open the hatch. the only good thing about it was that it cost $500, and it sold for just as much about 4 years later
I was waiting for the Chevette to get a mention. I never had one, but knew many who did and who would all say it was their worst car.

Some friends and I started on a 2-hour trip back in '83 with three cars, one of them a brand-new Chevette. Hatch kept popping up on that one, too, and it needed a tow before we got half way. We had to use the other two cars to shuttle people back home and get the owner back to his car.

At the time, it was the Vega that had the reputation of being the worst car, but I knew many more people who had disaster Chevettes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For me it was a 2014 Focus ST. It wasn't that the design of the car was bad (it was a blast to drive) but the build quality was HORRENDOUS. I had the car for less than a year and spent pretty much all of my free time lining up body panels, replacing missing bolts and screws, tightening down things that were improperly attached or just poorly fitting, etc. It felt like the car had been put together by monkey. Then at 3900 miles the engine blew up and Ford bought it back. Sigh. I really wanted to like that car, but it was just a disaster waiting to happen.

Back to trusty old Honda now. It's shocking how different (ie - solid) the build quality is in a Honda vs a Ford.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
For me it was a 2014 Focus ST. It wasn't that the design of the car was bad (it was a blast to drive) but the build quality was HORRENDOUS. I had the car for less than a year and spent pretty much all of my free time lining up body panels, replacing missing bolts and screws, tightening down things that were improperly attached or just poorly fitting, etc. It felt like the car had been put together by monkey. Then at 3900 miles the engine blew up and Ford bought it back. Sigh. I really wanted to like that car, but it was just a disaster waiting to happen.

Back to trusty old Honda now. It's shocking how different (ie - solid) the build quality is in a Honda vs a Ford.
That's interesting....I've always loved the Focus ST.

·
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4
465 Posts

Good to know. I am (at least, was) eyeing this for a possible future vehicle. Maybe not.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
As far as performance vehicles go, I have been looking at the Honda Civic Si sedan, VW GTI, and ST. Obviously the Si is the most reliable of the 3.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,128 Posts
1989 Volvo S90. Bought used, low miles, all service records. It was pathetic. Transmission went out, it would just die and not re-start. You'd NEVER get me near another Volvo.

·
Reverse Gear
980 Posts
I was waiting for the Chevette to get a mention. I never had one, but knew many who did and who would all say it was their worst car.

Some friends and I started on a 2-hour trip back in '83 with three cars, one of them a brand-new Chevette. Hatch kept popping up on that one, too, and it needed a tow before we got half way. We had to use the other two cars to shuttle people back home and get the owner back to his car.

At the time, it was the Vega that had the reputation of being the worst car, but I knew many more people who had disaster Chevettes.
At lunch today, I just happened to see a early 80's (I'm really not sure on the year, but it definitely was one of the later ones) chevette pass by as I was walking outside. Amazing that someone kept it running all these years. Yes it was really beat up and Yes, quite a rattling sound was emanating from it as it passed by. I hadn't seen one of these in a very long time. You guys bring it up, and minutes later I see one :wink

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I had a Chevette Scooter 2-door hatchback! It was the base model, with fiberboard door panels, pull straps (no arm rests), and small rubber mats over the metal of the painted floor boards.

I remember I bought it when I was a broke college student. 6 months later I got into a 7 car accident and got hit pretty bad from behind by a doctor driving a Jaguar. I still drove it even after getting a check from the guy's insurance. Paid for a semester of college rather than repair it properly. Gas tank leaked if 1/2 filled or more, tires rubbed against wheel wells, and the hatch never opened again. Car was beat to hell and neighbors would ask me to NOT park near their houses.

Car had no heat, no power steering, no power brakes, no A/C, and an AM radio with ONE speaker. Even before the accident- it leaked like the Titanic whenever it rained.....No woman ever went out with me when I owned that car. Thus, it earns the title of WORST.VEHICLE.EVER

·
Accord Sedan Sport 6MT
31 Posts
2003 MB ML350. This was the wife's vehicle, and I did not do enough due diligence before leasing it. The ride was absolutely brutal, and made my WRX with an STi\Whiteline suspension seem plush. The ergonomics were hideous - long reach to tiny and randomly arranged buttons on the head unit. Upon first wash I discovered that all of the rocker panels and bumper covers were lose with at least an inch of "play" when you rattled them around. I brought it in to the dealer in regards to the lose fitting stuff, and was told that it was "normal".

My wife refused to drive it after 6-months, and I was lucky enough to be able to trade it in and "only" lose about $2,500 in the process. I got the MB at a significant discount, so the trade-in value was not much less.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts