Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
8th Gen Believer
4,135 Posts
2009 Toyota Corolla. It was a rental on a business trip. The rear end was so loose even a mild turn or correction at freeway speeds would make it sway and shimmy. The steering sucked. The seats were awful. No power. Piece of junk.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The 2007-2012 Dodge Caliber. That car was a slow, ugly, fuel hungry pile of shyte. I used to work for a car company and got to drive a few of them and given the choice between that and the Kia Rios from the mid '00s, I always made a beeline for the Kias. These Calibers also had early iterations of the CVT which were completely awful and is probably one of the main reasons I hate that transmission.

The fit and finish even on a new car was questionable and it aged very poorly. I'm very happy they euthanized it in 2012.

·
2015 Accord Sport,
2 Posts
That's good to know, we had a 2000 focus sedan, Ztec, auto, great car, handled well for fwd, reliable, at 180k we gave it to some friends and bought an Accord, we considered another focus but glad after reading this.
The worst car I've had was my very first car, 1965 Spitfire. At age 15 I bought it for 335.00 with paper route money (1971). It was a true love-hate thing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Probably I'm going to be one of the few to put a Honda on this list. in '83, I got a mid 70's Civic, not sure of the exact year or model (probably due to ptsd from owning it). In the 4 months I kept it, I put twice as much into repairs as I did in car payments. When it was shut off, it tended to backfire, when it did, it would literally flip the carb float bowl upside down. Traded it in on a new '84 Rabbit GTI, now that was a great car. While I was researching the GTI, I found in Consumer Reports that year and version of the Civic was the only Honda they had listed to avoid at all costs as a used car purchase.

·
V4 Watch
801 Posts
I have never actually driven a car really bad enough to be considered the worst I have ever driven, but I have ridden in a few.

The worst car I ever drove was a 2001 Honda S2000. I was considering one as my first (willing) car, and was really hyped up about it and how awesome VTEC was going to sound, then...nothing. It was a huge dissapointment, i'm pretty sure VTEC didn't even work, it felt slow, like less than 200 hp slow. The worst car I tried to drive I actually forgot about. It was another S2000, with a clutch that only pushed in a little bit, I had to push it just to get it into gear, the battery was dead, it had mirrors that were so faded that they were pink, and it had some stupid aftermarket wheels that looked awful. That same day my dad bought an S2000 with 180K miles on it, and an aftermarket intake. It was everything I originally expected from the first s2000 and more. VTEC sounded amazing and I could feel the rush of power from it, it handled great and felt powerful.

Now, the worst vehicle I have ever RIDDEN IN I could actually consider bad. It was a late 1990s ford ranger with a pathetic little four cylinder and a scary 4 speed automatic transmission. It was slow as balls, was filled with the owner's junk, felt like it was going to break with every shift, and the way that thing delivered power I would describe as CVT-like.

EDIT: Just realized title says worst vehicle.

I would say the worst vehicle i have ever operated would be my old mountain bike with failed suspension and no brakes. I also rode a 1993 honda z50 around, the killswitch popped off and I went for it and got a nasty shock.

·
khol
106 Posts
In terms of reliability my 03 Camry. I owned it for nine months and put 7,000 miles on it.

The small problems included a non functional rear defroster, "melting" dashboard, and backlighting on the climate controls that did not like working

Upon getting the car a component in the rear multi link suspension was broken causing the car bob up and down during long "high speed" (50 mph+) turns or curves (like a cloverleaf).

After this was fixed the starter died leaving me stranded in a parking lot requiring the installation of new one.

One day when I was driving the oil pressure light came on. I took it to the repair shop that the found metallic debris in the oil. It turned out that the crankshaft was literally tearing itself apart. The mechanic said it looked to him as though a previous owner had driven the car without oil in it which caused damage that worsened over time to the point that about a quarter one of the cogs in the crankshaft was broken into pieces.... Basically the crankshaft was replaced.

After fixing this the starter died again! Stranding me in a parking lot. After this I was finished. I traded it in and got my Accord which after two years and 24,000 miles has been nothing but reliable.

·
khol
106 Posts
HaHa, My wife had a 1976 AMC Pacer! The upside down fish bowl. The accelerator cable would come off while driving it, it leaked oil horribly and you had to lift up on the doors just to shut the darn thing. People would look at us and point and laugh while driving by. Really embarrassing. We still laugh about that car.
I never knew that Dr. Suess work at in the 1970's AMC styling cars. It looks just like the cars in the books.

Attachments

·
8th Gen Believer
4,135 Posts
Toyota Corolla. I rented one, the rear end was so mushy, yawing left and right, seats like benches, under-powered, noisy and just a sorryass car.

·
Registered
209 Posts
2008 Nissan Sentra Spec V for me. My god, that gearbox was sooooooooooooo clunky. And forget about the suspension. It was horrendous. Glad I didn't own it, but I felt bad for my brother. :)

....I eventually convinced him to come over to the big H. He picked up a '12 Honda Fit and has never been happier.

·
Corvair
150 Posts
It's a toss up between my 1976 Pontiac Astre (a Chevy Vega clone) and my 2011 Ford Fiesta. The Astre (and Vega) sold more Hondas than Hondas marketing department. Unreliable would an improvement. My 11 year older Corvair with twice the miles was a much better cars in most areas.

My 2011 Ford Fiesta was a really unreliable car too. I thought no one made cars this bad since the '70's. My '85 Ford Tempo was much more reliable.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I never knew that Dr. Suess work at in the 1970's AMC styling cars. It looks just like the cars in the books.
We had one of these when I was a kid. It was gloriously horrendous.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Way back in the day, I moved a friends early '80s Ford Tempo across a parking lot. In the 60 seconds it took to move that car, I knew it was one of the crappiest cars I'd ever driven.

More recently I drove another friends Chevy Impala about 10 miles. Not the new generation, but the last generation. What an uninspired hunk-o-crap. I couldn't wait to get back into my '99 Maxima with 250,000 miles. That old Maxima was light years ahead of the Impala in every way possible.

Currently and happily driving a 2009 Accord EX-L.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
GMC Sonoma, company vehicle. The owner was really happy to receive a $600 check from insurance company when it was rear-ended and summarily totaled.

·
VCM DELETE
889 Posts
1991 Ford Taurus Wagon (GL MODEL) It had the absolute worst transmission ever. We replaced it 3x (2x under Ford warranty) before 60k miles.
The subframe rotted in Buffalo Winters and became detached from the main frame. To fix they had to drill a hole in the floor...seriously....

It was by far the worst car ever. i believe it was the 3.0L V6 NOT the SHO engine (3.8L)

Reactions: Samuelx

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
963 Posts
You do realize that you brought a 6 year old thread back to life.
So? It's an interesting thread that I didn't know existed before now, I'm sure others hadn't known about it either. I for one am glad it's been revived.

Anyway... For me, it's a 2016 Nissan Versa S sedan. I had to drive one for driver's ed. Now, with driver's ed I'm assuming it had been in a few accidents, but it made a bunch of strange noises and extra movements, like lurching and creaking. The entire interior was 100% hard plastic and the steering wasn't as responsive as it should have been- it just felt dull. The CVT also clunked, even though they're supposed to be gentle and quiet?
I remember asking my driver's ed teacher if I could use my mom's Honda Accord instead and he said he wished, but no, because it didn't have a special set of emergency brakes on the passenger side for him to hit if he needed to. He agreed that the Versa was crap and he said he would have preferred LITERALLY anything else, but Versas are cheap, and that's why they use them for driver's ed.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,135 Posts
Toyota Corolla from Hertz. POS.

·
Reverse Gear
980 Posts
1986 Pontiac Grand am (brand new). GM was figuring out how to make front drive cars back then. Imagine a 100 hp car having torque steer. The sounds the engine made were very unrefined. Luckily it was a rental and I could just give it back. The rear drum brakes locked up way too easily under moderate braking. Couldn’t wait to get back to my ‘76 Volvo with 150k miles on it. The grand am was rushed to market to ride the trend to front wheel drive. It was not engineered whatsoever.

Runner-Up is a 1996 Daihatsu sedan that I rented overseas. It was unstable at 60 mph.

·
MT or death
440 Posts
The non-turbo CR-V from a couple years ago with the CVT. Worst driving car I've ever experienced. Days-long throttle lag, overly intrusive lane-keeping, an unbearable transmission that was a nightmare on hills, etc. I get that they're fuel efficient, but for the money they're charging they should make sauce attempt at driveability (Mazda has that nailed). I drove a new one with the turbo and it's marginally better to drive, but is still a massive turd.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Repeat after me: 2013 Subaru Impreza (bought from new). Fun in the winter, miserable any other time of the year. Among the highlights:
  • Any drive lasting more than an hour would make you feel like you spent all day riding a horse over rough ground.
  • A rust spot formed on the roof
  • Intermittent stalling issues
  • Rattle from from right of car around 1800 rpm
  • Car refused to track straight, even after alignment
  • Stereo made the underpowered factory unit in my old 2003 Accord sound like Kimmel Center in Philadelphia.
  • Cheap plastic for miles
  • 2.0 (2.slow) engine takes accelerator input as a suggestion more than a command

I could go on. It’s the only vehicle I ever sold before it was paid off, but it led me directly to my 2012 Accord, so it all turned out ok in the end.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts