Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
1987 Buick Lesabre. Car had a leak by the windshield. Dealer could not fix for the life of them. Customer service was horrible. It turned out to be an incorrectly mounted windshield from the factory. Quality control in the 80’s was very shabby.

·
Registered
621 Posts
1985 Buick Century and 2000 Ford Focus station wagon.

Runner ups are:
~2008 Chevy Cobalt (rental);
~2010 Kia Forte (loaner).

Reactions: BenzAccord

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
512 Posts
The non-turbo CR-V from a couple years ago with the CVT. Worst driving car I've ever experienced. Days-long throttle lag, overly intrusive lane-keeping, an unbearable transmission that was a nightmare on hills, etc. I get that they're fuel efficient, but for the money they're charging they should make sauce attempt at driveability (Mazda has that nailed). I drove a new one with the turbo and it's marginally better to drive, but is still a massive turd.
We have a 2020 CRV EXL. One of the things that annoys the heck out of me is that driving it feels and sounds like an inexperienced MT driver riding the clutch all the time, all over the place!

·
MT or death
440 Posts
We have a 2020 CRV EXL. One of the things that annoys the heck out of me is that driving it feels and sounds like an inexperienced MT driver riding the clutch all the time, all over the place!
Right, the CVT seems to never know what it's supposed to be doing. My department has two vehicles that switch out regularly--always a CR-V and either a Nissan Rogue or Kicks. Not even kidding, when they're both available I actually choose the Kicks over the CR-V (the Kicks is a turd as well, of course).

·
ziptie princess
1,732 Posts
as a valet for 8 years, i've driven some truly depressing vehicles but it's probably a tossup between the lamborghini diablo and the first-gen viper.

terrible build quality, miserable ergonomics, just kind of generally garbage to drive...

·
Registered
53 Posts
A Hyundai Elantra I rented on a trip to Colorado . You drive on cruise control and when it encounters a small hill it revs the engine to 7000 rpm that it becomes so loud you panic thinking it’s going fast and you are losing control of the car and that the gas pedal is sinking . That was really scary .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
1990 Chevy Corsica. Yeah, it was bad. Absolutely no grip onset roads. Changed tires, shocks and still no grip. The car also had no power, was built crappy, was loud on the highway and had marginal braking.

Bought the car new and sold it 12 months later for a 5yr old Olds 98 which was a great ride.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So? It's an interesting thread that I didn't know existed before now, I'm sure others hadn't known about it either. I for one am glad it's been revived.

Anyway... For me, it's a 2016 Nissan Versa S sedan. I had to drive one for driver's ed. Now, with driver's ed I'm assuming it had been in a few accidents, but it made a bunch of strange noises and extra movements, like lurching and creaking. The entire interior was 100% hard plastic and the steering wasn't as responsive as it should have been- it just felt dull. The CVT also clunked, even though they're supposed to be gentle and quiet?
I remember asking my driver's ed teacher if I could use my mom's Honda Accord instead and he said he wished, but no, because it didn't have a special set of emergency brakes on the passenger side for him to hit if he needed to. He agreed that the Versa was crap and he said he would have preferred LITERALLY anything else, but Versas are cheap, and that's why they use them for driver's ed.
Funny, the worst car I've ever driven (in terms of the way it drove) was also the car I took driver's ed in. It was 2015ish Ford Focus. I swear, the transmission in that thing made me scared to drive it when I had to get behind the wheel. I was practically spoiled getting to drive our 2014 Accord at the time compared to driving the Focus. The transmission would up and downshift at the worst possible times and I swore I was going to accidentally roll into someone when accelerating or braking. I even asked the drivers ed company if they could bring another type of car but I they would only ever bring me the Focus :(

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
963 Posts
Funny, the worst car I've ever driven (in terms of the way it drove) was also the car I took driver's ed in. It was 2015ish Ford Focus. I swear, the transmission in that thing made me scared to drive it when I had to get behind the wheel. I was practically spoiled getting to drive our 2014 Accord at the time compared to driving the Focus. The transmission would up and downshift at the worst possible times and I swore I was going to accidentally roll into someone when accelerating or braking. I even asked the drivers ed company if they could bring another type of car but I they would only ever bring me the Focus :(
Yeah, the Focus has lots of reported transmission problems, sounds like that's what you were feeling!

I think driver's ed companies buy the cheapest models available for their fleet, because a bunch of kids are learning to drive in them, so they expect crashes/to potentially be totaled, lol. What's cheap is hardly ever good (or, sometimes not even decent).

·
Registered
32 Posts
5.7 years later...
For me it was a 2014 Focus ST. It wasn't that the design of the car was bad (it was a blast to drive) but the build quality was HORRENDOUS. I had the car for less than a year and spent pretty much all of my free time lining up body panels, replacing missing bolts and screws, tightening down things that were improperly attached or just poorly fitting, etc. It felt like the car had been put together by monkey. Then at 3900 miles the engine blew up and Ford bought it back. Sigh. I really wanted to like that car, but it was just a disaster waiting to happen.

Back to trusty old Honda now. It's shocking how different (ie - solid) the build quality is in a Honda vs a Ford.
This is why I like Honda.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I haven't driven too many cars but the Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera comes to mind. I think today's 18 wheelers could do better on a hill than that Cutlass.

·
On my second Accord.
2020 Sport 2.0T 6MT Still Night Pearl 5500 km. '07 Accord EX-L I4 Nav 5MT sold.
340 Posts
1973 Chevy Vega. Had to add oil on every gas fill up.
I learned to drive on a '74. I liked to joke that it had a "semi-automatic" transmission because you had to let off the gas just a little to get it to shift gears.

The interior was good for the era. That's about all that I could say about it that was good.

I shudder to think about how bad so many cars were then, especially in terms of how they aged. I first drove that car in 1983, when it was nine years old. I think about how good my '07 Accord was at nine years old - hell, even thirteen years old - and it isn't even close.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The worst vehicle I ever drove is the one that broke down and made me walk home

·
8th Gen Believer
4,135 Posts
Toyota Corolla.

·
Registered
600 Posts
This is probably before anyone's "time", but the worst vehicle I ever drove was a 1960's era Chevy Corvair, which I helped drive on a trip from college at Ga. Tech to a wedding in Florida, in the early 60s. That car had "negative directional stability"! If it started to move to the right, the tendency to drift right would quickly increase, and then when you turned the wheel left to correct, it would start a left drift which also increased - rinse, repeat, the whole damned time. I used to think this was just an alignment problem, probably incorrect camber, but later learned these cars were "unsafe at any speed". There was no way it would track down the highway in a straight line. It was all over the damned road.

- Jack

·
2020 best year
4,178 Posts
This is probably before anyone's "time", but the worst vehicle I ever drove was a 1960's era Chevy Corvair, which I helped drive on a trip from college at Ga. Tech to a wedding in Florida, in the early 60s. That car had "negative directional stability"! If it started to move to the right, the tendency to drift right would quickly increase, and then when you turned the wheel left to correct, it would start a left drift which also increased - rinse, repeat, the whole damned time. I used to think this was just an alignment problem, probably incorrect camber, but later learned these cars were "unsafe at any speed". There was no way it would track down the highway in a straight line. It was all over the damned road.

- Jack
Weren't those cars really fussy about the tire pressure? Given how most people don't know how to check it and even if they do, they just filled them all up to the same tire pressure, that played a part in the car's bad reputation.

I believe Pontiac Fierro was the same way, it needed different air pressure front and back.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes, the problem, as I just read online, was caused by the rear mounted engine and a rear axle that didn't have a differential but sort of articulated. It caused horrible oversteer (which I remember all too well). One fix employed was to inflate the front wheels considerably higher than the rears. There were other fixes too, but the car gained an infamous reputation that eventually killed it.

- Jack

61 - 80 of 86 Posts