Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know if it would be worth upgrading to 2021 Touring 2.0T from a 2018 Touring 2.0T?

·
cvt - NOT
1,199 Posts
I'd like to know if it would be worth upgrading to 2021 Touring 2.0T from a 2018 Touring 2.0T?
If the '21 has the looks and features you want then it may be worth it to you. Especially if you have factored in all the potential monetary loses too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely it will add up to my loan. by a couple thousand dollars ;(

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The way I see it...

1) Keep it and get (HondaCare) for long term ownership, or possibly easier transfer of ownership down the road.

2) Trade away... life is short

3) 11th Gen is just around the corner. We're talking next fall, maybe?

Hmmm...

Reactions: babdul

·
Avid "Accord-ist"
2020 Accord EX-L 2.0T
34 Posts
What specifically is your current vehicle doing that's wrong? Seems to me it must be something you discovered after you purchased this top-of-the-line model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What specifically is your current vehicle doing that's wrong? Seems to me it must be something you discovered after you purchased this top-of-the-line model.
Ummm there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s like the perfect car I always wanted to have. Maybe 11th gen might be a wise upgrade to make.

·
VCM DELETE
807 Posts
I would wait until 11th gen if it were me.

Reactions: AccordPirate04

·
Registered
618 Posts
The only thing I’m worried about is the trade in value won’t be as much at the time ;(
Your resale value- assuming that you have typical miles and your car is in good condition- will go down by roughly $4000 over the next two years. By contrast, the cost to upgrade your 2018 Touring to a 2021 Touring is roughly $15,000.

Here's the breakdown of cost:
If you trade-in your Accord and buy a new one- you likely paid around $15000 to drive that car for three years. That's $5,000 per year on average.
If you wait to trade your Accord in until the 2023 comes out- your Accord will be worth slightly less- and it will cost you about $19,000 to upgrade. That's $3,800 per year on average. The longer you keep it, the cheaper it will be to upgrade when you divide depreciation by years of ownership. The first few years of car ownership are the worst for resale and depreciation- once you make it past the five year mark depreciation slows down a bit.

If you are wanting to upgrade your car every three years- economics and finances aren't going to be on your side. It will be expensive no matter how you look at it to upgrade every three years.

Normally I'd suggest leasing to someone who wants to upgrade every three years... but that's also expensive- especially on an Accord Touring.

If there's nothing wrong with your Accord- and you like it (you must if you are considering spending a bunch of money to replace it with the exact same car), just keep driving it and perhaps look into purchasing a Honda extended warranty if you are worried about breakdowns.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Yes, you will be helping someone else get into a current gen top of the line car, making it worth their money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your resale value- assuming that you have typical miles and your car is in good condition- will go down by roughly $4000 over the next two years. By contrast, the cost to upgrade your 2018 Touring to a 2021 Touring is roughly $15,000.

Here's the breakdown of cost:
If you trade-in your Accord and buy a new one- you likely paid around $15000 to drive that car for three years. That's $5,000 per year on average.
If you wait to trade your Accord in until the 2023 comes out- your Accord will be worth slightly less- and it will cost you about $19,000 to upgrade. That's $3,800 per year on average. The longer you keep it, the cheaper it will be to upgrade when you divide depreciation by years of ownership. The first few years of car ownership are the worst for resale and depreciation- once you make it past the five year mark depreciation slows down a bit.

If you are wanting to upgrade your car every three years- economics and finances aren't going to be on your side. It will be expensive no matter how you look at it to upgrade every three years.

Normally I'd suggest leasing to someone who wants to upgrade every three years... but that's also expensive- especially on an Accord Touring.

If there's nothing wrong with your Accord- and you like it (you must if you are considering spending a bunch of money to replace it with the exact same car), just keep driving it and perhaps look into purchasing a Honda extended warranty if you are worried about breakdowns.
Might look into buying the extended warranty! Thanks Carl!

·
On my second Accord.
2020 Sport 2.0T 6MT Still Night Pearl 5500 km. '07 Accord EX-L I4 Nav 5MT sold.
255 Posts
I kept my '07 for 13 years and still liked driving it. I like to think that I extracted a lot of value out of that purchase.

Personally, I wouldn't trade in my Accord after three years unless I really didn't like it. Especially if I weren't really upgrading. (The differences between the 2018 and the 2021 are pretty minor, really.) Maybe if I had a 2018 LX and I wish I'd bought a Touring...

Assuming I don't have trouble with it, I plan to keep my 2020 Sport 2.0T for ten years, maybe more.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Like everybody has said on here, it is not worth it to upgrade from a 2018 Touring to 2021 Touring. So, keep on enjoying your trouble free Accord.

@PhotoJim said something that I want to reiterate. He kept his 2007 for 13 years. He now has a 2020 and plans to keep for atleast 10 years.

I relate a lot with him that is why I am chiming it at this time.

I kept my 2008 Maxima for 12 years. When I was looking for a new car, I wanted something that will last me another 10 years atleast. I purposely chose a 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid LX base model. I have owned cars with all the bells and whistles and realized I rarely used all the fancy electronic options and it all meant more things would break with time. So, I wanted something purposefully extremely good on gas with as little extras as possible since I plan to keep it forever or until the repair cost is more than blue book value, then sell. I love what I paid for my Accord and I bought a base because I have my eyes set on the new body style Nissan Armada Platinum 4x4. I love owning a 4x4, since I enjoy going offroading a lot. My current 2012 Infiniti QX80 has taken me to some amazing trips off the beaten paths but it is old and tired now and has had its own share of tons of problems. My wish is to sell that soon and then take some time to pay off the Accord, save some hefty about $5,000 down payment and then look for a used low mileage Nissan Armada Platinum 4x4 to buy. That is a long term wish of mine, if things do not change along the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like everybody has said on here, it is not worth it to upgrade from a 2018 Touring to 2021 Touring. So, lkeep on enjoying your trouble free Accord.

@PhotoJim said something that I want to reiterate. He kept his 2007 for 13 years. He now has a 2020 and plans to keep for atleast 10 years.

I relate a lot with him with him that is why I am chiming it at this time.

I kept my 208 Maxima for 12 years. When I was looking for a new car, I wanted something that will last me another 10 years atleast. I purposely chose a 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid LX base model. I have owned cars with all the bells and whistles and realized I rarely used all the fancy electronic options and it all meant more things would break with time. So, I wanted something purposefully extremely good on gas with as little extras as possible since I plan to keep until it forever until the repair cost is more than blue book value, then sell. I love what I paid for my Accord and I bought a base because I have my eyes set on the new body style Nissan Armada Platinum 4x4. I love owning a 4x4, since I enjoy going offroading a lot. My current 2012 Infiniti QX80 has taken me to some amazing trips off the beaten paths but it is old and tired now and has had its own share of tons of problems. My wish is to sell that soon and then take some time to pay off the Accord, save some hefty about $5,000 down payment and then look for a used low mileage Nissan Armada Platinum 4x4 to buy. That is a long term wish of mine, if things do not change along the way.
True. Might as well keep my accord until it’s last breath ;)
Good luck on your Armada :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts