Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Does anyone know if 6x9 speakers will fit into the 6 1/2 opening of the 8th Gen coupe?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
No. You can't fit an oval object into a round hole. Although, most aftermarket 6x9s should offer below deck mounting. If there is room below the deck, you can drill new holes for mounting and use the factory grilles. If not, you would have to cut 6x9 holes in your rear deck, again if there is enough room.

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You definitely can fit an oval inside a circle. It all depends on the size of a circle. But mounting below the deck is a great idea.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Why would you want to use 6x9's? Uneven cone loading leads to warping and distortion under power loads.

Question should be - "can i bottom mount some 8 inch subs back there :)"

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go ahead and try and fit a 6x9 speaker into a 6 1/2" hole. You won't get far.
You are right. Probably won't. But putting an 8" sub undermount does seem like an idea. Is there a way to get the sub woofer grille open w/o removing the entire rear plastic cover?

·
Registered
172 Posts
6.5 subs are a direct replacement. I put elemental design free air subs mounted on the bottom side. Magnets were to big to drop through the opening as it is not round and I did not want to cut the deck.

You can pop the rear speaker covers off from underneath. Go to the outside corner of the speaker from the trunk and push up with a 1/2 dia wooden dowel or similar. Pops up then work around till you can get it out. This way you do not mar the top trying to wedge out with a small screwdriver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts