1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
2020 best year
4,234 Posts
I was gonna ask if you should get this for your GF but I guess the price tag answered my question. That's pretty pricey for a 6th Gen Accord but it's not too ridiculous given the condition.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gonna ask if you should get this for your GF but I guess the price tag answered my question. That's pretty pricey for a 6th Gen Accord but it's not too ridiculous given the condition.
I definitely would get this for the GF if she could (or would be willing to learn to) drive manual. Unfortunately, she will only look at automatic cars, unless I can convince her otherwise.

On the negative side, I would have my concerns about a car that old with only 23,000 miles. It seems like things could go wrong if it sat for long periods of time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's pretty pricey for a 6th Gen Accord but it's not too ridiculous given the condition.
A couple of weeks ago one of these popped up in my area (it was a sedan), same color, garage kept, 40k miles and they said "$8,000 firm". Surprisingly, it already sold. I guess some people just don't realize how much age affects the value.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Cars like Integra type-r, S-2000, MR2, Supra, E30 M3 appreciates over time, and I completely get that but I am honestly reluctant to include a 4-cyl Accord with cloth seats in the same bunch.

Yes, it was detailed likely by a pro, and that is nice. Yes, the coupe and the MT are both discontinued and those are all nice things to have. On the other hand Seattle raises rust concerns.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I guess some people just don't realize how much age affects the value.
EH. value is 100% subjective. I'd be hesitant to sell that car for any less regardless of what it is worth to someone else, and maybe I'd be stuck with it for the same reason

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,163 Posts
It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. Just look at Bring A Trailer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This would be perfect for someone that doesn't want to buy a new car laden with all the 'Nanny' options the new ones have these days.

·
port & polish everything
1,664 Posts
A couple of weeks ago one of these popped up in my area (it was a sedan), same color, garage kept, 40k miles and they said "$8,000 firm". Surprisingly, it already sold. I guess some people just don't realize how much age affects the value.
The used car market got whipsawed pretty good by the virus. First values collapsed then became extremely strong as the stimulus hit, economy recovered, and new car production pipeline got emptied out due to virus shutdowns. Plus now no one wants to take bus and trains because of virus. New car inventories may also be on recovery now though.

Nice car not far from me but my 8th gen has only been driven 2K miles in two years since becoming a spare car after getting the 10th gen.

The price isn't too bad if garaged, if you can talk down the price a couple hundred and that it supposedly has new tires. The belts will probably need to be replaced though if original, possibly hoses and random seals. Not sure how paint quality was for 6th gen, Seattle gets light salt in winters. I had some paint delamination on my 8th gen I had to pay a body shop to fix.

One nice thing about a car that old actually is that registration fees on late model cars in Seattle is extremely high due to stupid train taxes. A car this old dodges that tax.

Edit, looks like the car is gone or sold.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that this would be the perfect car for someone with distain for "nanny" features! I thought long and hard about looking at this car, but decided to pass. $7,000 felt a little high, and this wasn't my preferred generation of the Accord. There is a guy who lives down the road from me who has a 2004 Accord Coupe in mint condition. I've been bothering him for YEARS, trying to get him to part with it. He must love that car, because he laughed at my offer way over KBB value. My current Accord will likely be last unless I eventually can ware him down! To be fair, I also have been known to bother another guy who owns a 1999 Toyota Tundra in the same immaculate condition :D

There will always be someone who will be willing to pay top dollar for a certain car, especially if said car has been maintained to such meticulous standards. I'm on the younger side of the age spectrum, so I am used to owning used vehicles that have not been maintained to the same standard that I would prefer. My parents always keep their cars in showroom condition, even now that these vehicles are almost 20 years old.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,159 Posts
Wouldn't touch a 20 year old car with absurdly low mileage at any price. It's sat up and nothing messes up a car like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

I saw this on Craigslist, and felt compelled to share here on DriveAccord. There is a 2001 Honda Accord Coupe 5-speed for sale with only 23,000 miles on the odometer! I almost am compelled to seek it out myself, but my 2006 Accord is still treating me well for now. I included a screenshot for when the Craigslist advertisement disappears.

View attachment 524787
The five speed is the 4 banger with manual trans. First thing I do it take it out. 3.0 would be a more desirable choice .

Attachments

·
port & polish everything
1,664 Posts
LOL horrible idea to molest such a low mileage manual 4 cylinder. By now both the 2.3L and 3.0L engines from this generation are slow. No point in molesting such a pristine car.

Reactions: enne

·
Pilot without a plane
469 Posts
There is a guy who lives down the road from me who has a 2004 Accord Coupe in mint condition. I've been bothering him for YEARS, trying to get him to part with it. He must love that car, because he laughed at my offer way over KBB value.
Smart man. If it's a 6-6, even better.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wouldn't touch a 20 year old car with absurdly low mileage at any price. It's sat up and nothing messes up a car like that.
This is absolutely true. My mother drove a 1989 Plymouth Voyager when I was young. She was able to get the car cheap because it sat with very little use for at least six years. That car NEVER ran properly in the time that we had it, even though it was in mint condition. Of course, part of that could be explained by the fact that it was a late 1980's Chrysler product...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Few thoughts on this...one is it's already sold.
Second, as someone already said, there's more than can go wrong with a 20 year old car (that wasn't hermetically sealed) with only 23K miles than with a 20 year old car with 120K.
Final thought, what's the point of this? Spend 2 decades pampering and not driving your car so you can get few thousand dollars more than if you enjoyed it. TWO DECADES...There's a saying, and I won't go in detail as to not be vulgar but not driving your car to keep the miles low is like not -expletive- your significant other to keep them pristine for someone else. You get the point.

Drive your cars people!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depends where you are in Seattle. I have a 02 Accord (4 door version of that but with 400k miles) and 00 Sonoma and both have 0 rust. Pretty crazy -- in the city they don't really salt. Back in new england a car dissolves in about 15 years.

Also with older vehicles like that, you need to check for timing service. They recommend replacing the belt at least once a decade even if you don't hit the mileage cap because they deteriorate.

·
Super Moderator
5,613 Posts
At 23k miles for being nearly new, I'd be highly concerned about the timing belt, water pump o-ring, serpentine belt, power steering belt, and tires.

All those items would need to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts