Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installed them yesterday morning and took me 45 mins to put them both in.. did not use the relay harness tho.. did not take the bumper off, put them thru the wheel well.. the bulbs fit perfectly in there and no need to adjust the height. its only been a day but they work fine without the relay and hope it stays that way.. i might put the relay harness in when i have more time to do so..

its like night and day.. def a lot brighter than halogen lights, and the color is perfect too..

i attached the pic i took this morning with my phone, its tilted but it def lights up the road much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Why would you choose not too use the relay harness? The xenondepot harness is amazing and pretty much PnP. So easy to install and most of all ensures your ballasts are getting the appropriate amount of power.

Still looks good though. Congrats.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
The benefit of the commercially available relay harness for a 35W kit is grossly overstated, in fact there is a flaw in the design approach of almost all of these harnesses which has an undesireable effect just looming in the dark waiting to cause REAL damage, perhaps even an electrical fire under the hood.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The benefit of the commercially available relay harness for a 35W kit is grossly overstated, in fact there is a flaw in the design approach of almost all of these harnesses which has an undesireable effect just looming in the dark waiting to cause REAL damage, perhaps even an electrical fire under the hood.

WHAT,,, I'm a electrical engineer and would like to see any data supporting this statement. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
WHAT,,, I'm a electrical engineer and would like to see any data supporting this statement. :dunno:

Certainly, I posted in this thread http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46146

In particular here are the two specific posts where I provided my justification:

2.5 years without the relays in my car with the DDM kit, and everything is just fine with the HID lights turned on EVERYTIME I drive, and that is just about every day, so there is at least two turn-on cycles right there almost everyday.

The current surge upon turn on for HID is very short, and is only a few amps higher than the nominal design current that the OEM halogen headlight draws, i.e. the halogen headlights are 55W, which is just over 4 amps at 13.5V nominal voltage while the car is running, the HID draws 35W, which is 2.6 amps at 13.5V, the halogen lights will have a short turn-on surge as well being a resistive device, perhaps shorter than the HID turn-on surge but there is still a surge, the bulk of the HID turn-on surge goes away after a second, the factory wiring is more than capable of handling that current for the very short time duration.

There is a 10A fuse for each healight in the factory electrical circuitry, it will blow by design if the current draw exceeds the current limit that Honda designed into the OEM wiring harness, my HID PnP kit has never caused these 10 amp fuses to blow in the past 2.5 years with 1,500 turn-on cycles (conservatively estimated as 300 days-per-year x 2 cycles-per-day x 2.5 years)

I don't know how many people have chosed not to use relay kits in their HID installation, however I have yet to read about anyone suffering a meltdown of their OEM harness from not using a relay harness in their HID kit installation. In fact, I would be far more concerned with a meltdown if these relay kits don't provide a fuse for each HID light and there is an electrical failure of the HID ballast or a bad installation to cause a short, then part of the relay wiring harness WILL meltdown from not being properly protected by a fuse in the relay kit!

IMHO, no additional relay kit is required for typical 35W HID PnP kits, YMMV.

EDIT: Just looked at the relay kits available on the market, there are either no mentions of fuse(s) in some, or mentions a single 30 amp fuse for both lights, which means the factory 10 amp fuse per light set-up is actually more conservatively rated AND safer than adding the aftermarket relay kits since each light can only draw up to 10 amps before the fuse pops where the aftermarket kit would either allow the wire to melt without the protection of the fuse, or until current draw from the electrical fault reachs near 30 amps before the fuse will blow, the wiring will likely have been damaged at that point.

I will stick to and stand by my no-aftermarket-relay-harness-thank-you-very-much decision.
My HID system has never flickered, one of them did not want to start up a couple of times in the first couple of months, but it has not done so for the past 28 months of near daily use. Both sides come on as quickly as when I had connected them directly to the battery when I first got them to test their functionality.

BTW, my decision of not using the relay harness has nothing to do with being cheap, see my rationale detailed in post #6.

I am not going to blindly suscribe to the relay-harness-is-better theory until it makes sense electrically and analytically, at this moment a relay harness without any fuse protection, or a fuse that is 3 times the rating of the Honda OEM rating do not make sense to me at all, if they make sense to those who wants to use it, then I've got nothing more to say other than "Good luck!".

And that's why I have not installed the relay harness, because I actually see more potential danger in using the un-fused or over-fused relay harness than not using one.

Hope this is clear.
Here are some examples of HID relay harness I found through Google in a couple of minutes:

- http://www.carhidkits.com/xenon-hid-kit-99/hid-kit-wire-relay-harness-200.html shows a single fuse.

- http://www.buytoonline.com/hid-fuse-relay-wiring-harness-kit-free-shipping-made-in-japan-p53.html which is stated to have ONE 25 amp fuse, the relay harness image http://www.buytoonline.com/image.php?object_type=detailed&image_id=217&window=popup shows one fuse (the red color rectangular part)

- http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22143_Absolute+HID+Relay+Kit.html, hover the mouse over the middle of the 3 small images, again just ONE fuse holder.

- One last one http://store.ijdmtoy.com/HID-Conversion-Kit-Fuse-Relay-Wire-Wiring-Harness-p/hid_adapter_04.htm, notice the red wire going to just ONE fuse (item 7) before going to the relay (item 8)?

I think the picture is pretty clear. (pun intended)

As a trained electrical engineer, I'm sure you can appreciate the irony of this flawed approach and the benefit it is "supposed" to serve, I look forward to your thoughts on this issue.

As well it has now been 3 years since I installed the kit without the relay harness, everything still works just fine today as it was 3 years ago, which is exactly as I expected it to be.

·
Registered
301 Posts
installed them yesterday morning and took me 45 mins to put them both in.. did not use the relay harness tho.. did not take the bumper off, put them thru the wheel well.. the bulbs fit perfectly in there and no need to adjust the height. its only been a day but they work fine without the relay and hope it stays that way.. i might put the relay harness in when i have more time to do so..

its like night and day.. def a lot brighter than halogen lights, and the color is perfect too..

i attached the pic i took this morning with my phone, its tilted but it def lights up the road much better.
is this sedan or coupe?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Aviography, sorry to beat a dead horse, but I agree with you about the relays having one fuse.

I want to get one to upgrade my DRLs to LEDs, and came across this. It's a bit more, but well worth it if it is a two fuse, two relay harness.

What do you think? Thanks for your time.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=252

1 - 9 of 9 Posts