Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume we all got trial XM radio subscriptiions with our new 9th gens. I did.
My trial expired yesterday and I called to discuss a subscription with them
I have a curious situation. I had a SIRIUS portable radio in my old 04 Accord Coupe that I moved from the car to the house. I have the boom box and dock for my stereo. SO that would make 2 subscriptions. I only listen to 2 stations ( E Street and Marg'ville) and just dont see the value in 400 bucks a year for the 2 radios. They offered me a deal on my XM and nothing on my SIRIUS. I let the XM expire. I will probably let the SIRIUS expire and by an IPOD and plug it into the IPOD port in my Coupe.

Who bought a subscription after the trial? I am really curious as to what the take up rate is on these into offers

One more question? Anyone know if I could plug my SIRIUS portable into the XM antenna already built in the car? If I did keep this I am not crazy about putting a magnetic antenna on my roof. But if I could hook into the built in, that might change things

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
I renewed, but then again I've had Sirius for many years. Don't listen to music though. You should call and threaten to cancel; they will give you a great deal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I called up and threatened to cancel & I got the $25 or $30 (Can't Remember) for 6 months. When you are on the phone with them, they will give you other deals before this deal, just say that the deal they are offering is too expensive and the price will keep going down.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Let it run out and they will send you coupons in the mail for 6-months for $25.

Jay

·
Registered
20 Posts
XM renewal

I assume we all got trial XM radio subscriptiions with our new 9th gens. I did.
My trial expired yesterday and I called to discuss a subscription with them
I have a curious situation. I had a SIRIUS portable radio in my old 04 Accord Coupe that I moved from the car to the house. I have the boom box and dock for my stereo. SO that would make 2 subscriptions. I only listen to 2 stations ( E Street and Marg'ville) and just dont see the value in 400 bucks a year for the 2 radios. They offered me a deal on my XM and nothing on my SIRIUS. I let the XM expire. I will probably let the SIRIUS expire and by an IPOD and plug it into the IPOD port in my Coupe.

Who bought a subscription after the trial? I am really curious as to what the take up rate is on these into offers

One more question? Anyone know if I could plug my SIRIUS portable into the XM antenna already built in the car? If I did keep this I am not crazy about putting a magnetic antenna on my roof. But if I could hook into the built in, that might change things
I did not renew XM after the free trial. I NEVER listened to it. I used to have Sirius on my 2006 BMW but I now have many more listening options available. My ipod has over 3000 songs on it. Maybe if they offered me a $25 for 6 mon deal, I may take it but then I'll have to decide all over again. Could this be "kicking the can down the read?":lmao:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually I did threaten to cancel, not 1 but 2 subscriptions. I said I could buy an IPOD, plus it into the IPOD port in my car and it would pay for itself in a year. Their response was "is that all I can help you with today"? So I guess maybe they are not as aggressive in retaining these trials as they were in the past.

They do call every 2 hours when I am not at home though. Nice that its not during dinner! I will wait for the 6 months for 25 bucks coupon to come. They were very efficent at shutting me down though.

It could be really interesting if I could plug my portable into the XM antenna in the car though. Have to see if there is a way to do that

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm up in Canada and I renewed mine the xm sales person gave me a deal for 2.50 a month for a year which is 30 dollars i thought that was a good deal so i thought why not

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I got a year for $70 on my TSX when it expired. You also get a discount for more than one radio too. I don't do FM so XM is a must lol

·
Registered
506 Posts
We got a 2 yr deal on the Accord for $65. It takes some back and forth with them to cough up the deal.
I got a lifetime on my Sirius in 2009 for $399 which was broken up into 3 payments. Worth every penny IMO.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I really didn't listen to it and I let it expire. They called and offered me $25 for six months. I asked for a year and they said $80 and I declined. I offered $25 for a uear and they failed to make a counter offer. I listen to Jazz and they only had one station. I basically use my old second generation iPod Touch through the USB port for both music and podcasts as well as broadcast FM.

Sirius XM is not doing very well. Their stock is about $4 a share.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Sirius XM is not doing very well. Their stock is about $4 a share.
But I bought in when it was less than .50 a share. :banana:

Jay

·
Registered
65 Posts
I didn't renew for one reason: it sounded like crap. Sound quality in my EX-L is horrible when on am/fm/sirius, but is clear when on ipod/bluetooth/aux/pandora. The trial was great when I was on a road trip to east Texas, where there was no reliable 3g/4g connection, since I primarily use Pandora or bluetooth stream Spotify. Since I live and travel primarily in the DFW metroplex, on the other hand, I didn't feel like paying $X/mo for another music service that sounded inferior to the ones I already have.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I drive a lot of long distances due to my work and find xm invaluable. Cell service is spotty and goes to 2g or no service so internet radio is not an option. I enjoy the variety of xm. With that said, if I only drove short distances inner city then I probably wouldn't subscribe and could settle for other options since listening time is so few.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didnt renew either, when they called (multiple times) they offered me a lousy deal (like 9-10$ a month) so i declined, i told them id take it for 4-5$ a month which is what they offered me when i had my 07 acura but the lady said she cant do that which seems like BS to me

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
But I bought in when it was less than .50 a share. :banana:

Jay
You did well. But at $4 a share it's no Apple.

No, actually they are doing well and their stock is doing well at $4.
With streaming music services like Pandora and Apple's new service I would take my profits on the stock.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I didn't renew for one reason: it sounded like crap. Sound quality in my EX-L is horrible when on am/fm/sirius, but is clear when on ipod/bluetooth/aux/pandora. The trial was great when I was on a road trip to east Texas, where there was no reliable 3g/4g connection, since I primarily use Pandora or bluetooth stream Spotify. Since I live and travel primarily in the DFW metroplex, on the other hand, I didn't feel like paying $X/mo for another music service that sounded inferior to the ones I already have.

I also live in the DFW area where there is good 4G service. If you are out of range of good cell service just but music on an iPod or a thumb drive and plug it not the USB port. The sound is great.

I found the sound quality on XM to be very good but expensive. The FM is not very good and I would have appreciated Honda giving us HD FM rather than XM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought XM and Sirius where the same thing am I way off the mark? I googled it and it said they combined in 2008 to form sirusXM?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I thought XM and Sirius where the same thing am I way off the mark? I googled it and it said they combined in 2008 to form sirusXM?
That's correct they couldn't survive separately. I am not convinced that it will survive charging less than $15 a month or $17 a month for their premium service. Premium service gives you their only star, Howard Stern.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts