Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I have a 2008 Accord coupe EXL which I had 5000K HIDs from Xenondepot installed on about 2 years ago. Last night my battery died and I had to have the car jumpstarted twice. I thought it was because the map light was left on. Anyways, I brought it to the dealership where they did an AVR test. According to them the battery/alternator passed the test with the HIDs off but failed when they were on.

I'm now worried that any repairs/new battery or alternator replacement will not be covered under warranty because of the HID lights. Don't HIDs actually use less power than conventional halogens? Has anybody else had any problems with theirs? Steve (xenon depot), any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,

So I have a 2008 Accord coupe EXL which I had 5000K HIDs from Xenondepot installed on about 2 years ago. Last night my battery died and I had to have the car jumpstarted twice. I thought it was because the map light was left on. Anyways, I brought it to the dealership where they did an AVR test. According to them the battery/alternator passed the test with the HIDs off but failed when they were on.

I'm now worried that any repairs/new battery or alternator replacement will not be covered under warranty because of the HID lights. Don't HIDs actually use less power than conventional halogens? Has anybody else had any problems with theirs? Steve (xenon depot), any advice?

Thanks!
I'm interested in hearing an answer to this post as I installed HID's on my car not to long ago.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Sounds like bad alternator to me but i see 2 options .

1) reinstall stock lights and have dealer retest , if it fails then they know were .

2) test the load amps used by hid's ,if the difference from off to on is less or = to factory its there problem . If its a lot more look at your HID install .

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
I'm not an expert on this subject matter but it doens't sound right. If the HID was causing the problem, how can you go over 2 years? I think you would've had problems early on. I also have HID installed about 2 yrs ago without any issues but recently my dealer changed my battery saying it MAY have caused my Navi locking up issues due to low voltage (which turned out to be not true as my Navi locked up 3 days after the new battery).

Like Edaccord08 said, do some tests and don't let the dealership blame it on HID unless they can prove it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Things would have to be damaged in HID unit or in installing that the amp draw is more than all accessories .
You can see the stock headlight fuse is 10a per side so total of max 20a for low beams .See if the HID power wire is drawing a lot more than this . Alternator should be able to handle a lot more than that as it is rated at around 90a AFAIK .

Quick search says proper working HID draws about 1/2 power of a equal halogen light .

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
My guess is that the HID kit is generating so much RFI that it's interfering with the test equipment. I've seen cheap Chinese ballasts play havoc with readings on my Fluke multi-meter and oscilloscopes. Most HID kit ballasts are so cheaply constructed and poorly shielded that they can create issues with sensitive electronic equipment.

·
In Reverse
662 Posts
Either what was said above. OR the stealership is doing it again. They find something that is not OEM and they blame it on that.

Anytime I have a problem, or have to bring in the car I change everything back to OEM, because if they do find something wrong they will blame it on the part/mod. Either that, or they will break something to blame it on my mods.

·
Stanced 8thGen Accord
4,753 Posts
That happen to my friend it happen to be the Battery not the HID kit from XenonDepot.. :)..

Same car... May want to recheck with your dealer.

Something with the Battery not holding Charge for more than 6 hours.. =Bad Battery..

There has been a coupe of member in less than 2 Years have to get the battery replaced

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem. It actually turned out I had a bad connection to the battery terminal. I loosened the connections up, cleaned them with a wire brush and tightened them up. I haven't had a problem since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts