Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ALL! Just rooted up from myGfrenzy and moved over to driveaccord and happy to be here. Sold my G35 Coupe for a 2010 v6 Coupe. Anywho, I kind of "made friends" with the detail guy at honda and he gave me a can of xzilon x-6 and a can of x-6 PLUS. He briefly told me how to use the stuff but I was wondering if any of you guys have had any first hand experience. I had some questions.

1. The difference between x6 and x6 PLUS

2. Car prep

3. Items needed to apply

4. maintenance after applied?

5. Can/Should I wax after it has been applied?

Any Help is much appreciated. I have scowered the internet and can find nothing on the stuff. Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello ALL! Just rooted up from myGfrenzy and moved over to driveaccord and happy to be here. Sold my G35 Coupe for a 2010 v6 Coupe. Anywho, I kind of "made friends" with the detail guy at honda and he gave me a can of xzilon x-6 and a can of x-6 PLUS. He briefly told me how to use the stuff but I was wondering if any of you guys have had any first hand experience. I had some questions.

1. The difference between x6 and x6 PLUS

2. Car prep

3. Items needed to apply

4. maintenance after applied?

5. Can/Should I wax after it has been applied?

Any Help is much appreciated. I have scowered the internet and can find nothing on the stuff. Thanks guys!:thumbsup:
i work as a detailer for a ford dealer and we use this on a lot of cars. heres my basic instructions:

1. wash car, cheap stuff without wax is better here.
2. clay and buff, if needed.
3. make sure car is cool, don't do this in the sun.
4. go one body panel at a time, pour a SMALL amount on the sponge that comes with it (or a folded microfiber towel.). wipe over whole body panel.
5. let it sit for a sec, not letting it get hazy, then wipe with clean mft.
6. go over panel again with another clean dry mft. make sure all comes off, this stuff drys hard.
7. repeat for other panels, keep track of which rag is which.
8. if any is left over do your windshield. this stuff will embarrass rain-x.

tips: -get a friend to help, they stay one panel ahead only.
-dont wax or wash for a week or so.
if you buff the car you will need to reapply the xzilon.
-one can should be more then enough for a single car.

good luck!

edit: this stuff is really only good for 6mo-1yr. but it is a really good wax alternative/addition. you can buy bottles of this stuff on ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i work as a detailer for a ford dealer and we use this on a lot of cars. heres my basic instructions:

1. wash car, cheap stuff without wax is better here.
2. clay and buff, if needed.
3. make sure car is cool, don't do this in the sun.
4. go one body panel at a time, pour a SMALL amount on the sponge that comes with it (or a folded microfiber towel.). wipe over whole body panel.
5. let it sit for a sec, not letting it get hazy, then wipe with clean mft.
6. go over panel again with another clean dry mft. make sure all comes off, this stuff drys hard.
7. repeat for other panels, keep track of which rag is which.
8. if any is left over do your windshield. this stuff will embarrass rain-x.

tips: -get a friend to help, they stay one panel ahead only.
-dont wax or wash for a week or so.
if you buff the car you will need to reapply the xzilon.
-one can should be more then enough for a single car.

good luck!

edit: this stuff is really only good for 6mo-1yr. but it is a really good wax alternative/addition. you can buy bottles of this stuff on ebay for cheap.
Wow! Thanks for the reply and tips! One more question. What is the difference between X-6 and X-6 PLUS?

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
How about go to their site http://xzilon.com/index.php?pageId=535 to look it up?

BTW, I did try and the links for the specific product blew up with this msg:

Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "" in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\trindustries.com\httpdocs\smarty\libs\Smarty.class.php on line 1095
or tells me it's a PDR package........ http://xzilon.com/index.php?pageId=564, a PDR in a can?? Give me a break! :paranoid: :dunno: :thumbsdow

I wouldn't trust a product that I've never heard of and the web site links don't work properly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about go to their site http://xzilon.com/index.php?pageId=535 to look it up?

BTW, I did try and the links for the specific product blew up with this msg:

or tells me it's a PDR package........ http://xzilon.com/index.php?pageId=564, a PDR in a can?? Give me a break! :paranoid: :dunno: :thumbsdow

I wouldn't trust a product that I've never heard of and the web site links don't work properly.
Yea I know, that's why I posted on here. Their website is subpar. However, just about every dealership in the US uses xzilon paint protection.... I trust em.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
However, just about every dealership in the US uses xzilon paint protection....
On what basis do you make this statemet?

I trust em.
Then you have far more trust/faith than I do. Think about it, the dealership is NOT going to use the best (i.e. costly) material to make a car look just good enough for either a quick sale or give the new car owner the initial "Wow" factor and send them on their way.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
Agreed, it is one of the many many sealant packages sold to dealers dirt cheap so they can sell it at high cost as a major profit center. They all have this big huff about "must be applied by qualified personnel" which is total crap. I'm not saying it doesn't work but there are tons of sealants on the market that will equal or exceed it for a fraction of the price. Any REAL dealership detailer (make ready artist) would know & admit that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agreed, it is one of the many many sealant packages sold to dealers dirt cheap so they can sell it at high cost as a major profit center. They all have this big huff about "must be applied by qualified personnel" which is total crap. I'm not saying it doesn't work but there are tons of sealants on the market that will equal or exceed it for a fraction of the price. Any REAL dealership detailer (make ready artist) would know & admit that.
i'll admit the product is really a glorified wax but xzilon actually stands behind their product. what you're paying for is the warranty. i have seen xzilon pay for a customer to have body panels repainted because they faded. that 800 spent on the package saved the 2000 at the body shop.

i put this on my sisters car since she never waxes it. it gives the paint more of a fighting chance in the winter/sun.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
$800?!

You've got to be kidding me that people will pay that amount of money for about $2 of material.

So how much does the dealership get and how much does Xzillion get out of the $798 of sheer profit?

A xzillion dollars each? :lmao:

With that kind of profit margin, of course they can afford to repaint a customers' car once every so often......

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ripp Off!

$800?!

You've got to be kidding me that people will pay that amount of money for about $2 of material.

So how much does the dealership get and how much does Xzillion get out of the $798 of sheer profit?

A xzillion dollars each? :lmao:

With that kind of profit margin, of course they can afford to repaint a customers' car once every so often......
I was at a dealer looking at cars and they had this added on an extra sticker next to the Factory MSRP. The amount was $895.00.

It provided a good laugh.....:lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$800?!

Do you not own anything? Do you think your car cost anywhere near what you paid for it to produce? Do you think your Name brand shoes cost $150 to make and contain $150 with of material in them? Do you think that's $4 worth of coffee in that Starbucks cup? Worth it to us? Maybe. Worth it production : resale value? Doubtful. It's all about how much your willing to pay for it. Me personally, i didn't buy the xzilon. It's not worth it to me. My car is garage kept and washed every Thursday. If it wasn't, maybe an $800, 5 year warranty for my paint wouldn't seem so ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Well, I don't drink $4 coffee, I don't buy $150 shoes, and while I wish it were less expensive, my car and other "toys" are at least worth the quality and engineering that went into design and manufacturing them.

These dealership-sold "paint protection" is a farce, most if not nearly all modern OEM paint will survive a lot of normal everyday exposure, 5 years is certainly easy to achieve, a company like xzilon would fight tooth and nail to spend a dime of their own money honoring and repainting for someone who bought their product for $800-900 and actually come back to make a claim, I'll bet you a $4 coffee that in the unlikelihood that xzilon does anything at all, it would start with a basic polishing job which they can get someone to do for a couple of hundred dollars max.

Good for you that you didn't buy this stuff, 'cause in my book, anyone who actually pay even a few hundred dollars for this might as well just donate that money to a charity, since it will do far, far greater good than buying this rediculously overpriced temporary product.

Which by the way is likely why the dealership detail guy was willing to give the stuff to you for free, so enjoy it fully since you didn't have to pay for it. :yes:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, I don't drink $4 coffee, I don't buy $150 shoes, and while I wish it were less expensive, my car and other "toys" are at least worth the quality and engineering that went into design and manufacturing them.

These dealership-sold "paint protection" is a farce, most if not nearly all modern OEM paint will survive a lot of normal everyday exposure, 5 years is certainly easy to achieve, a company like xzilon would fight tooth and nail to spend a dime of their own money honoring and repainting for someone who bought their product for $800-900 and actually come back to make a claim, I'll bet you a $4 coffee that in the unlikelihood that xzilon does anything at all, it would start with a basic polishing job which they can get someone to do for a couple of hundred dollars max.

Good for you that you didn't buy this stuff, 'cause in my book, anyone who actually pay even a few hundred dollars for this might as well just donate that money to a charity, since it will do far, far greater good than buying this rediculously overpriced temporary product.

Which by the way is likely why the dealership detail guy was willing to give the stuff to you for free, so enjoy it fully since you didn't have to pay for it. :yes:
Your right. There is no way one can justify an $800.00 or $900.00 price tag for this stuff. Any good OEM paint job will last the life of the car with regular washes and a wax every six months. I believe most of us wax more often here on this board, but most people don't have it done or do it themselves as often. OEM paint is pretty darn good these days.

·
jkal88
14 Posts
Xzilon IMO

i detail for a large dealership that sells the xzilon product and can see both sides or this argument. yes its true the xzilon costs between $700 and $900, but it also comes with a warranty, and when buying a car it is financed into the deal and only adds a few $ a month to a payment..anyway our body shop has repainted panels because of "product failure" usually bird droppings and acid rain etched into the clear coat the xzilon application also includes a leather sealer to help block stains, a fabric sealer to protect against stains in cloth seats and carpet. the warranty will pay to have stains removed and if unsuccessful will pay to replace seat fabric..i'm sure there is some fine print somewhere along the line as with any warranty..but i have seen paintwork and cloth seat replacement first hand, from what i have heard the xzilon company pays for it..trust me a dealership isn't going to pay out of pocket for product failure..as for the PDR in a can, apparently xzilon will pay for the PDR process, im sure the size of the dent has something to do with it tho ...with all that said i have applied the product to hundreds of vehicles and seen very few come back with problems..but the product is not magic, don't believe all of the hype..it does help keep the paint sealed and keep bugs and bird droppings from etching into paint..also applied to exterior plastic and windows..it is a great product but for most of us its not worth the money..i wouldn't spend $900 for it, but i take care of my car..always washing and waxing, carpets are well covered and the interior is regularly cleaned..the average person doesn't take care of there vehicle..trust me i have cleaned some beat up cars in my day, so for those people the whole "glorified wax/stain repellent" might be for them, along with the warranty

as for most of us..we'll stick to the regular wash and wax :D

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,917 Posts
It's an insurance policy. I sold the same type product when I sold very high dollar mattresses ($3500-$7500 and up for a queen size). If it stains and they can't remove it, blah, blah, blah. After a court battle they will replace the mattress..........same old shit with the paint on the car. Don't buy into it.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,432 Posts
I just came from having my oil changed at my Honda dealership and I was talking to a guy who had just had a Xzilon coating put on his car.

He said it cost him $400.

I said I'd never heard of it, so he went with me to one of the sales offices to get a brochure.

So, when my car was ready. I went to the service rep, handed him the brochure, and asked him to explain the process to me.

He told me to forget about it and said that stuff is worthless.

So, my dealership will sell Xzilon to you for about half the going dealership price, according to posts here, but the service department will tell you to steer clear.

I got a good laugh out of the whole thing and even more so when I looked the product up here.

I didn't get a sales pitch for this stuff when I bought my car in February, but now that I know the what the deal is, I'd really like to hear that sales pitch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts