Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 01 accord 4 cyl has 143K and I've done many 1 time D&Rs...... at 30K, 45K, 60K, 90K, 120K, now doing one D&R every 5K......at 5K oil change intervals...also just installed a magnafine in the return line....

so here's the BIG question:

Would you still put an aux cooler in?....I'm thinkin' you fine folks will say yes, do it....but I dred taking off the bumper.......:)

Here's the not so big question:

Since Z-1 was replaced with the DW-1 which is supposedly somewhat synthetic, is there really a benefit to going with that Red4 fluid?

Thanks, as always, for your time!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
What's the use conditions like, do you tow, climb mountains, race from red to red, deliver pizza around town a lot?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I EAT pizza.....:) drive just 5K a year but mostly in town stuff...at 66 yrs old my Vette days are over...:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi All,

My 01 accord 4 cyl has 143K and I've done many 1 time D&Rs...... at 30K, 45K, 60K, 90K, 120K, now doing one D&R every 5K......at 5K oil change intervals...also just installed a magnafine in the return line....

Would you still put an aux cooler in?....I'm thinkin' you fine folks will say yes, do it....but I dred taking off the bumper.......:)

Since Z-1 was replaced with the DW-1 which is supposedly somewhat synthetic, is there really a benefit to going with that Red4 fluid?

I would not recommend using DW-1 as a replacement for Z1. DW-1 is not full synthetic and in some cases proven worse than aftermarket fluids. My choice would be Valvoline MaxLife ATF as a replacement for Z1.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nailgrease, when you switch to the Valvoline, how many miles between each D&R?...or do 3 D&Rs in a day like a full flush?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,598 Posts
Nailgrease, when you switch to the Valvoline, how many miles between each D&R?...or do 3 D&Rs in a day like a full flush?

Thanks!
If completely switching out to a new product all together, I'd say that doing a 3x D&R would be most effective.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi All,

I work in transmission repair. Coolers only help, there is no downsize albeit it could be damaged which means all kinds of garbage fall in to the tranmission and your radiator itself. For switching from one fluid to another that's a big N O! If your manual says use a specific transmission oil then ONLY USE THAT. Trannys need to keep specific pressure in tiny places, so need to be exactly the right viscosity for it! Honda already has pretty bad trannies in many years so I highly advise with sticking with your owners manual and getting genuine fluid!

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
208 Posts
I work in transmission repair. Coolers only help, there is no downsize albeit it could be damaged which means all kinds of garbage fall in to the tranmission and your radiator itself. For switching from one fluid to another that's a big N O! If your manual says use a specific transmission oil then ONLY USE THAT. Trannys need to keep specific pressure in tiny places, so need to be exactly the right viscosity for it! Honda already has pretty bad trannies in many years so I highly advise with sticking with your owners manual and getting genuine fluid!
Except the factory recommended fluid is no longer produced. The replacement, DW-1, is a fair bit different from Z-1, and is synthetic blend.

Plenty people have used both redline D4 and Valvoline maxlife without trouble. Valvoline is probably the better choice, the redline D4 is different enough that it may cause accelerated wear (and is also incredibly expensive). The valvoline maxlife is full synthetic unlike the honda fluids, and probably just as close to Z-1 as DW-1 is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, CapKirk,

What do you use in the warp drives? Do you coat the dylithium crystals?

Does Scotty drink it?

P.S. Yeoman Rand was HOT!!

:):)

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
208 Posts
So, CapKirk,

What do you use in the warp drives? Do you coat the dylithium crystals?

Does Scotty drink it?

P.S. Yeoman Rand was HOT!!

:):)
Personally? I just recently did a 3x drain and fill with Valvoline maxlife for my transmission (along with a trans cooler install). However, I have a 7th gen with a 5 speed.

Honda DW-1 doesn't taste too bad, but the Valvoline stuff does.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Thanks!
After the 1st D&F, I would warm the engine and transmission up to operating temperature by driving a few miles mixing the fluid, then do the 2nd. After the 2nd (it's about a 50/50 mix), I'd drive 200-500 miles (no rule), letting the new fluid do what it says on the back of the bottle. Then do the 3rd (80٪ VML).
(Sorry for the late response🤦‍♂️)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Honda DW-1 doesn't taste too bad, but the Valvoline stuff does.
Lol!
Seems Jin likes VML for what it does, but 1 star off for bad oder. 😀😂🤣

(FYI, VML is not for Honda power steering fluid, for amusement purposes only!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did order an LPD4452.....seems like cheap insurance.......

Much certainly less expensive than Yeoman Rand maintenance......:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts