Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story:

I've got a clunking sound coming from the front passenger side. The clunking happens most prominently at low speed, especially over dips or gaps in the road (like when a manhole cover is a little bit lower than the road surface around it). Doesn't happen so much over raised bumps or at speeds > 30 mph. Both front swaybar end-links were recently replaced the the problem did not go away.

I do have a leaking strut on the front passenger side, which I plan to get replaced soon. But from a lot of the reading I've done, it seems that struts don't really make clunking noises? Is that true, or can struts cause the clunking I'm experiencing? When I get the struts replaced, I would like to replace anything else that might be the cause so that I don't have to keep taking it in to the machanic.

Thanks for any advice, guys!

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
I would suggest that you get the strut replaced and have your mechanic do a full suspension component inspection with a test drive. Kinda hard to diagnose a clunk over the internet... :dunno:

I think I've seen people on here complaining about bad lower control arms so I guess I'd place my bet on that if it isn't the strut.

·
Legitimate hack
1,417 Posts
Good luck figuring it out. I've been trying to figure mine out for over a year in the same corner. I've replaced the lower ball joint, both front end links, both compliance bushings, shock (I have coilovers), upper strut mount, sway bar mount bushings, PS engine mount and none of that has solved my noise.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck figuring it out. I've been trying to figure mine out for over a year in the same corner. I've replaced the lower ball joint, both front end links, both compliance bushings, shock (I have coilovers), upper strut mount, sway bar mount bushings, PS engine mount and none of that has solved my noise.
Oh boy...that doesn't sound promising :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been experiencing clunking with all of my bushings and ball joints good. I have lowering springs on cheap "OEM Spec" struts. My coilovers are coming in this weekend and ill install them next week. I too am curious if it will stop the clunking. I used to have a jetta and i had a strut that was clunking/knocking and it turned out the actual assembly had gone bad not the internal part but the whole assembly had some play in it where the welds were. So if you know you have a bad strut on that side and the noise is there start with the strut and see where that takes you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been experiencing clunking with all of my bushings and ball joints good. I have lowering springs on cheap "OEM Spec" struts. My coilovers are coming in this weekend and ill install them next week. I too am curious if it will stop the clunking. I used to have a jetta and i had a strut that was clunking/knocking and it turned out the actual assembly had gone bad not the internal part but the whole assembly had some play in it where the welds were. So if you know you have a bad strut on that side and the noise is there start with the strut and see where that takes you.
When you get your coilovers installed, let us know if it takes care of the clunking!

·
Out of Gear
196 Posts
I have had a front end "clunk" for quite some time now.
Front end was checked by two experienced mechanics. No verdict.
I suspected it was the shock tower bushings(when rocked, the bushing would move on pssngr side).
Sprayed the bushing with PB and it made a good difference.
Replacing front stuts after Christmas.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
There are a lot of moving parts in a FWD double wish bone suspension. Check every bolt, bushing, etc. that is in motion when the suspension cycles. I have actually had the bolts that mount the top hat of the coil over (or strut as was the case with my Pathfinder) loosen and cause clunking noise.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a lot of moving parts in a FWD double wish bone suspension. Check every bolt, bushing, etc. that is in motion when the suspension cycles. I have actually had the bolts that mount the top hat of the coil over (or strut as was the case with my Pathfinder) loosen and cause clunking noise.
I'm planning to replace the front struts in January, so that should take quite a few things out of the equation. I just hope the clunking is gone after I replace the struts, because some of the other causes are pretty time-consuming repairs that require dropping the subframe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts